APP not going above 67%. Newbie needs help.

Tuning discussion for all second generation Mazda 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo powered vehicles
jdmage_mx5

APP not going above 67%. Newbie needs help.

Post by jdmage_mx5 »

So I am new to self tuning and so far have just adjusted the maf cal for my 4" intake, 3 Bar map, and turned my wgdc down 30% because of HTA3076 and 3 port ebcs. I noticed that my app does not go above 67% no matter what. My curiosity got to me and I noticed my LC and FFS do not work which I'm guessing because of the app.

Does anyone mind helping a newbie out?
jdmage_mx5

Re: APP not going above 67%. Newbie needs help.

Post by jdmage_mx5 »

I've seen a couple of threads about this but usually the app maxes out a little higher. I have to apologize for being a complete idiot in regards to this. Do I just adjust the tune for the "smaller resolution" of the app?
nitroelectric

Post by nitroelectric »

Mine reports 76% max and LC also did not work no matter what I tried. In the end I shot off an email to Ugnius at VT and he sent me a new release which solved the problem. Something to do with the region settings for your specific VIN. Good luck!

HOBSPONDER TRANSMISSION
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

The APP on Gen2 does not hit 100%. I put some washers under mine to get it up to 83% or so. It was hitting the firewall.
jdmage_mx5

Post by jdmage_mx5 »

Thanks Steve. That's what I discovered on mine too. I have some washers and will be adding them this week.
HeTheAethyr!

Post by HeTheAethyr! »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:The APP on Gen2 does not hit 100%. I put some washers under mine to get it up to 83%~. It was hitting the firewall.
It took about 1/4" of washers to gain the additional throw on the pedal.. This question being posted as newbie help*, Steve then you trailer the calibration to reported throttle position to correct the difference to 100%? I remember seeing a question regarding pedal hysteresis in a different forum, maybe related? If this is the case, I can't seem to find a solid conclusion if there's a pedal calibration procedure. OR can the "actual throttle pedal position" be tailored? Like I've said before i'm years behind on these vehicles.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

I have not tested to confirm whether absolute APP is used for the table lookups or if it learns the actual APP range and uses the learned APP percentage for lookups. If someone has time to test a Gen2 with setting the APP req load tables with a really low req load above the max absolute APP percentage and see what the behavior is, that would be cool.

If you are unsure, set the last few lines in APP req load the same so that the highest absolute APP percent is your max req load.
VoodooJef

Post by VoodooJef »

Fwiw, I don't think a Pu is capable of reporting 100%. With mine only doing 68 I set out to resolve it. There is a bump stop on the back of the gas pedal arm that appears to be there to keep pedal travel to a given stopping point. After much rolling around under the dash and contemplating I surmised it was not structural and shaved it off. I get 85% now and the arm cannot be made to go any further (ie; it is as far in the pivot slot as it can go). It never seemed to bother the tune any, I just wanted a truer representation of wot.