WGDC BCS table BNRs3 EBCS

Discussion of tuning specific to MAZDASPEED3/MAZDASPEED Axela/Mazda 3 MPS vehicles
Poachersun

WGDC BCS table BNRs3 EBCS

Post by Poachersun »

Hi Guys,

Doing some tuning to narrow down my Boost table (BCS) for wastegate duty cycle.
BNRs3 with Grimmspeed EBCS. MY spool is pretty slow at the moment (running safe untill i get everything safely working at the boost i want)
Aiming for 22psi. Have set loads slightly high until i get my boost table sorted before bringing the load into a safe zone to prevet over boosting.

Does anyone have any reasonable safe BCS table to work with? The light load/half throttle stuff is the time consuming part to get right, WOT logs and getting the full load boost is a work in progress

I wonder if in the future the gen2 will get a few more OTS tunes for DP, aftermarket intakes, EBCS etc maybe basic ones to get us running to then tweak on dyno/road tuning.

Managed to find some MAF tables on mazdaspeed forums for my HTP 3" to get me started for my Maf cal.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: WGDC BCS table BNRs3 EBCS

Post by mituc »

The light load part of the tune is figured out by the ECU which controls the EBCS to meet the desired load for that throttle opening.

Usually you need about 3-4 sessions to figure out your BCS DC table and can be done in less than half an hour or so.

First you start with it zero-ed out completely but leave the BCS DC increase at 20% and BCS decrease at 100%. With these values on the tune you do a WOT run and see where WGDC lands.
Then you fill your BCS DC table values with those, at this point they should still be below target. And then you do another WOT run.
By 2250RPM you can fill all those values like the stock table, with 100%. With a larger turbo you can go right one column and fill it with 100%.

You repeat the process until the boost and load are where you want. Once this done you can start looking at how the corrections are made. Usually if you have a Grimspeed in 3 port mode or any similar EBCS (CS, Stratified, and so on) you can start by multiplying the Load comp (both initial and incremental) tables by 0.75 because the larger turbos respond slower to these corrections and if the corrections are too big you'll get boost oscillations.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Poachersun

Post by Poachersun »

Excellent, thank you

This is good info. Will see how i go this weekend.

Rather not do 4th gear logs, may have to book in some dyno time, 3rd gear is O.K

I do check 3K to about 5K 4th gear to make sure AFR and knock are on point,
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

At this point keep the AFR, timing and VVT to stock values.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Poachersun

Post by Poachersun »

Here is my current log(s) - getting a tuner mate to review. Not quite hitting the loads i am requesting. WGDC is bouncing all around the place compensating.

Ill just have to increment the WGDC tables slowly to get it right,
Attachments
tables4.jpg
tables4.jpg (379.37 KiB) Viewed 20920 times
2302piha4thgear.csv
(52.3 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
2302piha3rdgear.csv
(34.58 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Poachersun

Post by Poachersun »

Ok.....i just re read what you said...i think that is where my problem is, i haven't changed those tables at all!

Attached
Attachments
loadmultiplier.jpg
loadmultiplier.jpg (121.68 KiB) Viewed 20919 times
Poachersun

Post by Poachersun »

AAAND the load target correction tables lol.

The more i look at it the more i realise i should get an e-tune, maybe PD as their pricing is the same for Versatuner and aftermarket turbo.

I just really want to get to 22psi and it working O.K for a dyno run tomorrow (have now left it too late to e-tune)

Turned into a job much more details than i anticipated.

I probably could figure it out on a stock setup, but with my mods there is just a bit too much going on for me to grasp, at least at the moment with all the variation tables that need adjusting. Although it is getting close to what i wanted, just not quite there (just over 2 load / 20psi)
Attachments
FinalJohnotest2Load v1.26.rar
(67.08 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

You need to make sure your tune is consistent. At this point I see that the APP req. load table as well as the per gear requested load tables have some weird values around 3k rpm.
Also, you should up the requested load around 3000rpm a bit more, maybe 1.8-1.9. the turbo may not be able to generate that amount of load there but at least it will keep the wastegate shut a bit more for a bit longer to spool faster for what's to come.

Since we don't know what MAF calibration you're using, posting logs with the MAF voltage instead of the MAF g/s may not result in the desired help from the community.
Otherwise the logs look fine, apart from the load and boost oscillations which are kind of expected at this stage of tuning.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Poachersun

Post by Poachersun »

Yeh the max map kpa absolute was closing the throttle body. Was only gettimg 290gs.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

There are a few issues going on with your tune.
- The fuel pressure targets are way too high. With upgraded internals you will get fuel cut because the fuel will exceed the capabilities of the fuel rail pressure sensor.
- you have an upgraded MAP sensor. Set the throttle reduction boost limits higher. like 260kpa for throttle reduction and 270kpa for fuel cut.
- if your engine is not built get that rev limiter down to 6700. believe me, I know.
- set max inj DC to like 90 or so for starters.
- min lambda is set to 0.762 (holey phook pump gas!!) while the knock tables still have values lower than that. Set the min lambda to 0.7 or so. You can set min lambda cu 0.5, this will have no effect on your actual AFRs unless you command so, so focus more on the commanded values in various situations rather than going so far away from the factory knock mitigation logic;
- why would you set the BCS Baro adjustment to 100.1% across the board, including low baro situations?
- the APP requested load table adn the per gear load request tables don't really make sense in the 2500-3500rpm area. Normally you should limit the load in the per gear tables, not in the APP req load tables which are more general.
- open the req load for gears 3-6 and enable the visualisation button. Doesn't it scratch your retina? Doesn't it yell at you at night? :)
- by looking at the acceleration pedal calibration I can tell you kind of hate to drive your car in bumper to bumper traffic. If you only hoon it then it's fine.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7