Versa Tunes recomendation (Fan temps and Idle rpm)

VersaTuner for Mazda RX-8
Walle

Versa Tunes recomendation (Fan temps and Idle rpm)

Post by Walle »

Hello Versa Tuner team.
I have one proposition to implement in to all of your mazda tunes as this is something that is damaging to the engine on a stock ECU settings, and a lot of engines have been lost do to these particular setting that I don't se you have adjusted in any of your prebuilt tunes.

Primary fan temperature (oem 97) advised to be 85C to 88C
Secondary fan temperature (oem 101) adviced to be 90C to 95C

Idle RPM. (oem hot coolant set at 790 to 810 depending on the map referenced)
Because of the construction of the oil pump, the oil pump doesn't have sufficient flow at lowest idle RPM.
For series 1, the oil pump only starts really pushing fluid above 840RPM (new) below that it is beyond its design operational limits and barely has any pressure to the engine to switch the oil pressure sensor. (I cannot find the flow graph anymore to reference)
For this reason it is highly advisable to run idle no slower than 850RPM and recommended to keep it at 900 rpm.

I hope other rx-8 owners with expertise could chime in and confirm/deny these statment but to make your pre built tunes all that more appealing.

:welcome
wcs

Re: Versa Tunes recomendation (Fan temps and Idle rpm)

Post by wcs »

Nothing to add only to agree
+1
d-LoiX

Post by d-LoiX »

Good intel, did not know about the oil pressure and idle.
Thanks.

What about 3rd fan speed. I believe there is kind of emergency mode at 108 ºC but could not find it. I would also like to lower that as well.
Walle

Post by Walle »

there is no mechanical way to be 3rd speed. the relays actuating them can be off, power 1 or power 2, no way to increase to 3rd.
slipshod

Post by slipshod »

I was resetting fan temp controls with trial and error and ended up very close to your suggested parameter. My primary is set at 186F or 85C, with my secondary set for 193F or roughly 90C. Good to know I was right around your suggested low point in the range.

Will look at the idle rpm next.
slipshod

Post by slipshod »

I also adjusted idle to 850 rpm.
dieseldaz

Post by dieseldaz »

:D
Walle wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 7:21 pm Hello Versa Tuner team.
I have one proposition to implement in to all of your mazda tunes as this is something that is damaging to the engine on a stock ECU settings, and a lot of engines have been lost do to these particular setting that I don't se you have adjusted in any of your prebuilt tunes.

Primary fan temperature (oem 97) advised to be 85C to 88C
Secondary fan temperature (oem 101) adviced to be 90C to 95C

Idle RPM. (oem hot coolant set at 790 to 810 depending on the map referenced)
Because of the construction of the oil pump, the oil pump doesn't have sufficient flow at lowest idle RPM.
For series 1, the oil pump only starts really pushing fluid above 840RPM (new) below that it is beyond its design operational limits and barely has any pressure to the engine to switch the oil pressure sensor. (I cannot find the flow graph anymore to reference)
For this reason it is highly advisable to run idle no slower than 850RPM and recommended to keep it at 900 rpm.

I hope other rx-8 owners with expertise could chime in and confirm/deny these statment but to make your pre built tunes all that more appealing.

:welcome