Mazda Rx8 not running right.

VersaTuner for Mazda RX-8
Rholtz911

Mazda Rx8 not running right.

Post by Rholtz911 »

I am a new owner of a 2005 Mazda Rx8. It starts up and makes a high pitch sound. Then after it warms up it wont start again. Can anyone help me with this problem or point me to someone that can? I also have a video I can email you if needed.
wcs

Re: Mazda Rx8 not running right.

Post by wcs »

Rholtz911 wrote: March 15th, 2022, 4:43 am I am a new owner of a 2005 Mazda Rx8. It starts up and makes a high pitch sound. Then after it warms up it wont start again. Can anyone help me with this problem or point me to someone that can? I also have a video I can email you if needed.
Well, initially my first thought was the Secondary Air Pump which a common failure point on the older Series 1 RX8's.
(it will squeal like a stuck pig sometimes)
The Secondary Air Pump is only activated on a cold start as a measure to inject extra air in to the exhaust stream to assist the Catalytic converter coming up to operating temperature quicker (emission laws and all).

But .. if the car starts and won't start again after its warmed up, well that could be low compression.

Before we go any further, if you could answer the following would help
- Is there a check engine light on?
-- If 'yes' what are the codes?
- Is it the original engine?
-- Mileage on current engine: (miles/km please specify)
- Coils and Plugs were changed last (unknown?):
- Any modifications to the engine such as a aftermarket intake or catalytic delete etc. (don't care if you have aero stuff or wheels)

I sent you a PM with my email if you want to send me a video.
Though if you could figure out a way to post a link in the thread here it would get more eyes on it.