Gen2 Bridgeport Tun

Tuning discussion for all second generation Mazda RX-8 (2009-2011)
kettelmetal

Gen2 Bridgeport Tun

Post by kettelmetal »

I'm trying to tune my 2009 RX8 after a full bridgeport, it also does not have a cat.
It is having issues idling and i think it would be a lot better at a higher rpm min from what i've read. I see the Gen1 tune done for a similar issue but can't open it up and read what i need exactly. Any help?
80HD

Re: Gen2 Bridgeport Tun

Post by 80HD »

Hey,

In the description of this vid there is some details regarding the tune for a series 1 - albeit specific to that particular motor and port design.

https://youtu.be/nehDP7KE4HU

From what I understand the S1 and S2 maps are different hence why you won't be able to open the S1 map with your VT.

Your porting will really determine your timing though. How? NFI, but I noticed advancing leading brought on a brap and retarding trailing made it more pronounced.

The stock ecu maps are well polished and designed to make it run super smooth with consistent vacuume, hence it is mapped to fight any roughness.

You basically have to make a dumb ecu tune, ie nothing to smooth it out. No background tables to make it run perfect in all situations and delivering perfect vacuum and idle.

I took the approach of an old school 13b bridgy with a locked dizzy at about 20 degs of L advance and 15 deg split and nothing else. Then she started to brap. All I did was delay the T plug a little more because that is what mine wanted.

Just make small changes and note the differences. You will find that sometimes advancing/regarding doesn't make a change - stop there as you just get diminishing returns.

And do it hot. The cold map makes it run smooth by advancing everything and throwing fuel at the problem.

If you need screenshots of ignition tables let me know.

I would be keen for you to reply and let me know if it worked for you as I only have the one car/motor to play with.

I need some verification from others to this method before i can be sure these changes are what makes it happen.

and manually open your ssv up on idle.