Tune development

VersaTuner for Mazda SkyActiv Diesel powered vehicles
Jpk

Re: Tune development

Post by Jpk »

Hi Samo I've got a late UK 2016 Mazda 3 hatchback 150hp manual transmission. Not pushed the car too far yet, was letting the tune settle but have just emailed my 2nd log which had a few typical overtake pulls from 70-90mph in 6th gear and a 60-90mph in 5th. Not looked at the log myself but the feeling on the 6th gear pull seemed hesitant but could've been the car waiting for the pressure to build in the turbo. Felt good and maybe better than the 1.08 tune on a hard acceleration from standing at the end of my 1st test log which was uphill from 0-70ish mph
samuel

Post by samuel »

Hello,

thanks for info, have same engine on cx5 Just with awd. I used 1.08 before, now use 1.02 (150->175), because its better for driving, no more loosing power between shifting at higher rpm. Mybe I will trie this new one :) in the future, but I am still waiting for some reviews 😊.

Have a nice Day,
Samo
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

samuel wrote: November 26th, 2020, 5:23 amMybe I will trie this new one :) in the future, but I am still waiting for some reviews 😊.
Remember two things:
1. these tunes are still safe, they will do no harm to your engine. These skyactiv-D engines will self-distruct after a while regardless the tune, regardless the year (yes, the post-2016 ones will develop similar cam wear issues but slower, no injector seals or oil pump chain tensionner issues though). So give it the beans while it still runs :)
2. every review matters at this point. You may run into situations that the others will not due to climate particularities, diesel fuel particularities, driving habits, and so on. If I were you, after spending the money on VT and waiting for so long to have a proper tune I'd jump on it before it was even posted :)
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
samuel

Post by samuel »

Hello,

yes I will jump, but mybe little slower ;), I think this weekend.

You mention cam, injector seals, oil pump,... isues. Do you have a lot of experiences with this?

I have cx5 (april 2014), when am buying I look for such VIN number, where there are no cam wear isues anymore, but who knows.

Now the car has almost 200.000km, I changed injector seals once at 120.000km, cleaned oil pump strainer (was fully clogged) and intake manifold (changed also gasket for PTFE - teflon one). I change oil every 10.000km. So far so good.

If you even cleaned oil pump stranier on cx5 diesel, please tell me, how you do this. Do you remove entire pump or just strainer. I just loose bolts, move strainer a bit and clean it. But this is not so easy :(.

Please tell me also how/if you change injector seals. Do you change injector nuts also, like in service manual is recommended, and how much you tight this nuts?

Best Regards,
Samo
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Couldn't agree with mituc more, and this is a please for all fellow skyavtiv d owner's, we've waited a while for any progress with more tunes and it looks like it's our responsibility to test and feedback to get greater returns and smoother tunes due to a lack of Mazda diesel's in the American market
mk_

Post by mk_ »

Steve, can you tell me what kind of driving needs to be performed when logs are taken, for you to have good data?
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

So I ran the tune for 400 miles and emailed over another 2 runs, 1 with a couple of standing start full throttle accelerations and the other with a couple of Dyno type runs in 3rd gear full throttle from 1500rpm-4500rpm. Had a bit of fun on some twisty country roads today and gotta say coming from the 1.08 tune, for me it feels better with what feels like good boost accelerating with normal loss of boost that you get in any car I driven whilst changing gears. I've dropped the 150-175 tune on tonight as it gets better reviews than the 1.08 tune so I can do the same logs for my own comparison and driving feedback.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

The 150-175 tune is the OEM 175 hp tune. This beta should be more power than that.

The 1.06 and 1.08 have higher peak torque, but hit limits and tend to oscillate in hot weather. I'm looking to find some happy middle ground between 1.08 and this latest beta tune with max torque and no oscillation.
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

i hit 1490 & 1499 fahrenheit on the beta tune on two of my full throttle accelerations with ambient temps around 50f which isn't too far off the limits i see in the editor (1580f) as compared to 1290f with the 150-175 tune in similar ambient temps but is comfortably below the limits shown in the tune editor (1454f). Could we see similar oscillations in hotter weather with this tune as it is?

Also i'm rubbish at using virtual dyno, just can't seem to be able to configure it right, however the beta tune even with my wrong vehicle parameters shows up as 20+hp more consistently over the 150-175 tune.
mk_

Post by mk_ »

mk_ wrote: November 26th, 2020, 8:44 pm Steve, can you tell me what kind of driving needs to be performed when logs are taken, for you to have good data?
Any feedback on this or above post about temperatures?