Can my Mazda dealer see if it has been tuned?

Discussion of tuning specific to Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv Diesel vehicles
SuperDuke

Can my Mazda dealer see if it has been tuned?

Post by SuperDuke »

Hello Versatune and other members,

Only a short question: when i bring my CX-5 to the Mazda dealer for maintenance, will they be able to see if it has been tuned? Before if visit them i will flash to stock!

Because i don't want to risk my 3 year warranty.......

Kind regards,

SuperDuke
The Netherlands
asphyx82

Re: Can my Mazda dealer see if it has been tuned?

Post by asphyx82 »

In my experience, mazda can't see if ECU was rewritten (i have changed entire engine in warranty )..... but you have to return car to stock before take it to dealer.
You can find "Return car to stock" in maintenance task of Versatuner home

:cool
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Anyone can see if the ECU was rewritten but only if they look.
If you're afraid of this you can return the car to stock before you go for inspections at the dealer. Even so they will be able to tell if it was rewritten or not if they specifically look for this (check timestamps), but at least you will have the latest firmware they burned into your ECU.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Compared to other makes like Audi/Volkswagen, Mazda has very limited information about 3rd party flashes.
It is always recommended to return the car to stock before going to the dealership in order to minimize the risks. So far, we have not had any reports of warranty problems due to the use of our product.
lxfirm

Post by lxfirm »

My CX-5 has so far done about 40k kms and I haven't skipped a scheduled service with Mazda yet. I've always returned my car to stock a few days before service and have not yet had any questions about it. I guess unless given a reason to look it's probably not in the mechanics's check list of things to do during a service.

Unless other users here have had a bad experience and can say otherwise I would suggest not to worry about it. We're all here because we want to squeeze that untapped power from our cars. No risk no reward right? but we can still be smart and do what has already been suggested to minimize risk.