forced induction on rx8 with Versatune

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda RX-8 (2004-2008)
350matt

forced induction on rx8 with Versatune

Post by 350matt »

As the title says chaps

I'm considering buying a copy of versatune but also have a supercharger I want to fit
so can the VT software cope with FI?
I'm presuming it still keeps it as a MAF based setup and I will draw through the stock MAF can you use the baro sensor input to provide a boost input ?
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Re: forced induction on rx8 with Versatune

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Yes, you can use VersaTuner to tune forced induction RX-8 setups. You will be hitting higher loads and you will need to rescale the main tables to allow tuning those high load values.
You will reuse factory MAF sensor, you might need to put it in a larger housing and recalibrate it to allow measuring higher airflows.
There is no boost pressure input into the ECU, because it is not used in any calculations from the factory. You need to use an external device (boost controller or similar) to control boost. ECU controls the rest.
350matt

Post by 350matt »

Thanks, that's clear. As its a charger not a turbo then there's no boost control to worry about
Themainmandan

Post by Themainmandan »

Ugnius @ VersaTune wrote:Yes, you can use VersaTuner to tune forced induction RX-8 setups. You will be hitting higher loads and you will need to rescale the main tables to allow tuning those high load values.
You will reuse factory MAF sensor, you might need to put it in a larger housing and recalibrate it to allow measuring higher airflows.
There is no boost pressure input into the ECU, because it is not used in any calculations from the factory. You need to use an external device (boost controller or similar) to control boost. ECU controls the rest.
How do we rescale the tables? Also in the desired torque table, I’m unable to enter a value higher than 256.. is this part of rescaling the tables..? To allow a higher value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

To rescale a table you need to edit its axes (e.g. if the RPM originally goes from 0 to 6000, you can change it to go to 9000 but with fewer steps in between). The existing values in the table will be shifted/adjusted to match the previous axis values (so that performance remains unchanged).
To enter a higher value than it is allowed, open the "Advanced" tab of the tune editor and select "Allow Entering Unsafe Values". Please note that in some cases it is impossible to enter a larger value because the data type that is used by the ECU internally has a limited range of values. If a certain table stores values as single bytes, you will not be able to enter more than 255.
Themainmandan

Post by Themainmandan »

ahh perfect! thanks a ton!
Themainmandan

Post by Themainmandan »

I am curious to know if anyone has any fuel and torque etc tables especially timing tables for FI?

More concerned with running safe timing under about 10psi of boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chrismercado

Post by Chrismercado »

I have a turbo charged renesis with a blow through maf, how should I go about tuning the car? You guys should make a tutorial 😉. I already purchased versatuner but nobody local wants to tune my car with it.