RX8 Mk.1 STALL WHEN ROLL NEUTRAL, STOP ON TRAFIIC AND TRY TO RUN AGAIN

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda RX-8 (2004-2008)
10k RPM

Post by 10k RPM »

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else had it :

I have flashed my catless, intake modified, exhaust manifolded, RX8 Mk.1, with this tune map:
6 port: 91US/95EU Octane tune for 6 port RX-8 with Racing Beat REVi intake and TurboXS catless exhaust. Modified AFRs and VDI settings provide horsepower and torque gains across the entire power band. Slightly increased metering oil pump output for increased longevity.

The car was fine before the flash.
Car is still running fine overall.
HOWEVER, when in speed roll and switch gear to Neutral and roll until the next traffic light, then try to launch and run again, fuel is cut, engine hesitates and stall.

It happens only when you roll on Neutral for say more than 10 secs, so I am guessing, there is something there with the IMAP sensor values, or so.

Anyone had this before?

Thanks,
:bow
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: RX8 Mk.1 STALL WHEN ROLL NEUTRAL, STOP ON TRAFIIC AND TRY TO RUN AGAIN

Post by mituc »

10k RPM wrote: May 16th, 2020, 8:13 pm Anyone had this before?

Usually stalling when warm are signs of weak compression.
Did you try to flash the car back to the stock tune? I bet it will do the same....
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
10k RPM

Post by 10k RPM »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.
I've been riding the car all weekend to find whats what.

It seems that it is nothing to do about stalling in neutral at all.
I drove in neutral and nothing happened. Only cooled the intake Temp.
Stalling only happened when launching on green light, after waiting for the red to go out.
It stalls when driving and then try to launch and leave on green light.

Today a new version happenned.
I drove uphill for 14-15mins or so, ambient Temp. 34oC and then on the top of the hill, tried to launch after a stop sign, then boom. Stalled again.
It does it when you try to launch the car. Not while idling.

I am guessing IAT/MAF signal, fuel pump signal and/or Ignition Coil(s) signal going bad .
More likely Ignition Coil(s) signal - after all, Fuel Pump usually does not last 50mins of drive.
They (fuel pumps) go out in the first 1-3mins of operation.

Please anyone, have you ever had such problems?

Thanks all,
:jawdrop
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

What is the ECU calibration of the car? We had a random fuel cut issue due to our incorrect implementation of launch control/no lift shifting on some ECU versions. We have fixed that and are currently beta testing a fixed version. Your version probably still contains the old code.
User24

Post by User24 »

No stalls so far on this tune. But I never roll for 10 seconds in neutral up to a stop. I stay in gear to slow down, then clutch in to 1st gear and brake at the desired stopping point. Once stopped, shift to neutral and release clutch to properly align for 1st gear. In the rare event 1st gear is still blocked off, I immediately shift to 2nd and then 1st again which is a 100% fix.
Versatune 1.05, BHR ignition, Sohn w/Epitroch kit and Legend ZX-2SR oil, Stock airbox with Racing Beat Revi ram air duct and KN filter, VFAD removal, Vacuum chamber removal, Magnaflow CARB E.O. catalytic converter 5461150, custom Magnaflow mufflers.
10k RPM

Post by 10k RPM »

Ugnius @ VersaTune wrote: May 18th, 2020, 2:49 am What is the ECU calibration of the car? We had a random fuel cut issue due to our incorrect implementation of launch control/no lift shifting on some ECU versions. We have fixed that and are currently beta testing a fixed version. Your version probably still contains the old code.
Alright,

Can we have this Beta version link ?

We have replaced the OEM fuel pump, considering it as a faulty one, it sounded like a fuel pump overheated and stall the car.
After all, the symptom was that the engine would not start if you had a go immediately after stalling. At the same time, it did start the engine, after 4min break was done.
We will give it a go with the new pump this weekend.

Any news I will keep you guys updated.

Keep safe,
:burnrubber
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

The fix has been included in the latest version, just use the automatic update functionality to get it.
Please note that only these calibrations have been fixed: N3ZDEJ, N3ZBEJ, N3M1EK, N3M5EK, N3Z2EU
If yours is different, let us know.
10k RPM

Post by 10k RPM »

Updates on this,

I have replaced the OEM Fuel Pump, found covered in dirt and blocked filter mesh.
Car is running fine, w/o reflashing any new version whatsoever.

I will check my version, thanks for your reply.
However, I can't log in to the Tunes section of the VersaTuner. Is there any restriction after first download and flashing the car?

Thank you all for your strong support - problem was the old blocked fuel pump.

Any feedback on the Tunes section welcome.

Keep it oversteer!

Stelios
www.10k-rpm.com :burnrubber :burnrubber :burnrubber
10k RPM

RX8 Mk.1 STALL WHEN ROLL NEUTAL, STOP ON TRAFIIC AND TRY TO RUN AGAIN

Post by 10k RPM »

Hello again,

Calibration is N3ZHEC - Gen.1 MAZDA RX8 MSP
Do I need to reflash ?

Also, I can't download any more maps from "EasyFlash Tune Database", after logging in my account - any reason for this ?
(Tried today)

Thank you all for your strong support!

Keep it oversteer,
Stelios
www.10k-rpm.com :burnrubber :burnrubber :burnrubber