Ignition Leading / Timing tables problem?

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda RX-8 (2004-2008)
dcox11b

Ignition Leading / Timing tables problem?

Post by dcox11b »

Hey there,

I will send a support ticket in but was wondering if anyone else has some helpful information. After getting versatuner on my car installed and starting to edit maps, I have found that my buddy who also has versatuner contains a difference on their ignition tables. On his software he has Ignition Leading table 1, 2, 3 and trailing table 1, 2, 3. On my software, I only have Ignition Leading table 1 and ignition trailing table 1. Tables 2 and 3 appear to be missing?
2005 Rx8 Shinka - Black Cherry Mica
Scoobysangracing

Re: Ignition Leading / Timing tables problem?

Post by Scoobysangracing »

I’m on the same boat and saw some it on people videos. Is there’s a reason why?
dcox11b

Post by dcox11b »

I can only guess as to why it looks that way.

1. Your ecu calibration is just different so that's what you get (perhaps differences in model years from mazda)

2. Versatune maps created under different update versions

Likely, we will not get an answer or it will be a veeeery long time. I am not sure the versatuner engineers really pay any attention to us with these things and are only concerned with big issues but I have yet to have anyone reach out to me about an answer. For now, my car seems to be running just fine and any maps I send to people I make sure to tell them it's important to see all tables if they have them but I think the software accounts for it so it should be good. It's just frustrating that versa doesn't have more staff engaged with this platform and what staff they do have seem to answer only people with engine code issues or flash issues and the occasional help with a map someone unknowingly mucks up.
2005 Rx8 Shinka - Black Cherry Mica
Lomeezy

Post by Lomeezy »

This is definitely a difference between ECU calibrations. Couldn't tell you why Mazda did it that way. I have two 2004 RX8s One UK spec and one US Spec, UK spec has 3 Ignition tables Leading and Trailing and the Us Spec has only 2 Ignition tables for leading and trailing. I've also seen only 1 ignition table Leading and Trailing. As long as you makes sure the tune you are using either matches the amount of tables your particular calibration has you should be fine. Otherwise I Simply copy and paste table 1 or 2 to the missing table after I've made any changes.

That is not the only thing to look out for when using someone else's tune. If you notice some tables have different Axis values between different calibrations. so you need to look at every table to see what didn't transfer. This is usually very obvious because the last few columns will have the same value all the way out. For example some tables end at 1 load value while others go all the way to 1.25.

Check all the tables before you flash. even if they are not showing changes