Want crackles and pops? Here you go.

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda RX-8 (2004-2008)
dcox11b

Re: Want crackles and pops? Here you go.

Post by dcox11b »

Updated map for users with LS style coils.
Attachments
Pops and Bangs performance (LS Coil) v1.00.vtune
(14.98 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
2005 Rx8 Shinka - Black Cherry Mica
dcox11b

Post by dcox11b »

Pouyasrx8 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 3:47 pm Hey can you make a update for people that are running CAI ,ls coils decat and fatback exhaust also this map will burn more gas right?
I have uploaded a new one here. What kind of cold air intake are you really running?
dcox11b

Post by dcox11b »

whatrx8 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:38 am for us LS coil users, what needs to be done/changed for this tune to work properly?
For your LS coils see the new map loaded on the second page of this thread i believe.
Pouyasrx8

Post by Pouyasrx8 »

dcox11b wrote: April 13th, 2021, 1:31 pm
Pouyasrx8 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 3:47 pm Hey can you make a update for people that are running CAI ,ls coils decat and fatback exhaust also this map will burn more gas right?
I have uploaded a new one here. What kind of cold air intake are you really running?
Yes I saw thank you I've got A generic aem style intake
whatrx8

Post by whatrx8 »

dcox11b wrote: April 13th, 2021, 1:31 pm
whatrx8 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:38 am for us LS coil users, what needs to be done/changed for this tune to work properly?
For your LS coils see the new map loaded on the second page of this thread i believe.
Thanks for the quick tune update, means a lot when you help people like me out for free. :beertoast
ATTACK8

Post by ATTACK8 »

:drive thanks for that map, I’m new to versa this tune made me purchase worth it, have a question when you did the timing retard did you enrich it to have bright orange flame when it pops ?
dcox11b

Post by dcox11b »

ATTACK8 wrote: April 26th, 2021, 3:35 pm :drive thanks for that map, I’m new to versa this tune made me purchase worth it, have a question when you did the timing retard did you enrich it to have bright orange flame when it pops ?
hey mate, there will be flames if you have some different exhaust set up besides the factory exhaust. It all depends on what kind you go with and how much flames you get. On mine, I get some flashes of flame and loud noises but I have the stock exhaust but have removed my catalytic converter for now.

As for the timing, there is no need to enrich the fuel any further since the DFCO is adjusted in the computer with this tune. So basically, when you are letting off the gas this tune continues to fire the fuel injectors and you will get extra fuel anyways (which causes the cracks and bangs when the fuel ignites on the way out of the exhaust). On the stock map, when you let off the gas the injectors turn off and there is less fuel in the combustion chamber which is for MPG fuel economy and probably to tame the exhaust.

As a plus side, if you premix your gas... (which i strongly recommend) when you decelerate you are getting the nice lubrication your engine seals will need because the fuel keeps getting injected. Now, of course you are adding a bit more heat in the exhaust with the extra fuel but I have not seen the temps rise above the normal amount for much longer than having the tune stay factory stock.

I hope you enjoy the tune and please read the very first post once again to see all of the information I wrote to get a better idea of what I am talking about. You can also compare your base tune to the new map and see changes in versatuner and start to get a general understanding of whats changed as well.
dcox11b

Post by dcox11b »

Also, stay tuned for a youtube video series where I will post how to do all you need in versatuner
McTinkerson

Post by McTinkerson »

dcox11b wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 12:15 pm
As for the timing, there is no need to enrich the fuel any further since the DFCO is adjusted in the computer with this tune. So basically, when you are letting off the gas this tune continues to fire the fuel injectors and you will get extra fuel anyways (which causes the cracks and bangs when the fuel ignites on the way out of the exhaust).
Just wanted to mention that there is still a known bug in v21.1 which is preventing the DFCO table from working correctly.
If you datalog the O2 sensor lamba/AFR, you'll see it.
Racinghawk

Post by Racinghawk »

would this tune be transferable to a S2?