Want crackles and pops? Here you go.

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda RX-8 (2004-2008)
dcox11b

Re: Want crackles and pops? Here you go.

Post by dcox11b »

Racinghawk wrote: May 31st, 2021, 10:36 am would this tune be transferable to a S2?
You can not entirely just load up and go for it on an S2. But if the S2 has the DFCO and leading/timing tables to allow change you could get it to work.
2005 Rx8 Shinka - Black Cherry Mica
AMiR

Post by AMiR »

dcox11b wrote: March 10th, 2021, 4:32 pm Hello friends,

I have been working with a fellow Versatuner and we have been tuning our cars together and testing various issues along the way. So if you want to do crackles and pops and you are looking for the easy way to get started here is a map for you to use and won't explode your vehicle we have been running it for 6 months now continuously. This has been tested on 6-port manual transmission vehicles. I have no idea if its different for 4-port or automatics sorry.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING!!!

1. Your PCM may have different tables than the ones shown in my map due to differences in PCM calibrations. For example: My car appears to only have Ignition - Leading Table 1 and Ignition - Trailing Table 1. Your PCM may have Tables 1, 2, 3 or some variation thereof. It is important to then copy all of the modified values from Trailing Table 1 and paste them into your additional tables 2 and 3 if you have them and do the same for the leading tables. (Paste leading values into leading tables and paste trailing values into trailing tables). Failure to do so may result in issues.

2. You may wish to alter your idle RPM, fan temps, or oiling as you see fit. These were standardized to give helpful boosts to most lightly modified vehicles but if you are running aggressive or custom set ups then you probably know what to do anyways.

3. The decel fuel cut off table may be adjusted to your preferred REDLINE RPM LIMIT. However, I recommend keeping the columns that are changed the same so your vehicle is nice and warmed up before you go off the stock parameters. I would also recommend you to premix your gas for added safety.

4. This map ignition is off of the stock mazda coil set ups. If you need adjustments for a different ignition set up, post it here and I will try to load another map for you or you can adjust the settings to your needed dwell time yourself.

5. If you have a different air intake set up than the stock air box you should adjust the intake valves accordingly. Again customize this to your own car but we have found to actually raise some of the values a bit helps performance anyways.

6. Within the Leading and Trailing Tables you may wish to change the values found under the 0.25 load to their standard stock values if you experience "lunging or lurching" while in first gear going about 20+mph. Some will have it some will not, it depends on the health of your particular car so run it for a day and decide.

7. When decelerating leave the vehicle in gear and ever so gently touch your accelerator pedal for more pops and bangs otherwise you will just get less but they will still come on.

8. For best effect, run a decat midpipe and exhaust but it is still efficient on stock components but you will be adding extra work for the catalytic converter.

Thanks for reading and happy zoom zooming. If you have suggestions then go ahead and put them below if we find them to be helpful I will update the map accordingly and post revisions. :beertoast
I have it on my car ( OEM Coils, Decat, Cobra exhaust, OEM Air intake, 5speed 190HP ) and to be honest it's great, I can hear the Pops by pressing the clutch pedal (slowly). If I release the accelerator pedal, nothing special will happen at high RPM and the police will not knows :biggrin2 :biggrin

btw, it was great and interesting that the RPM is limited to the water temperature :drive

https://youtu.be/URt0DIc5l1E
dieseldaz

Post by dieseldaz »

You
Mentioned you would post version for aem intake, no cat, stock coils but I I only see the original and the last coil one am I missing something? Cheers
riffy

Post by riffy »

dieseldaz wrote: August 8th, 2022, 3:15 am You
Mentioned you would post version for aem intake, no cat, stock coils but I I only see the original and the last coil one am I missing something? Cheers
I gotchu ill upload it in a few hours

edit: whats your ecu cal?
riffy

Post by riffy »

dieseldaz wrote: August 8th, 2022, 3:15 am You
The air valves are already adjusted however, I pushed the APV valves up a little more. Variables like your altitude & ambient temperature may require additional tuning with those as they perform best on case-by-case. I tweaked some other things you can see in the changelog.

Hit me up from my website https://www.rifkinrepairs.com/mazda-tuning if you need more stuff.
Attachments
Pops and Bangs performance (Tuned by the Rif) v1.00.vtune
(15.04 KiB) Downloaded 137 times