Want crackles and pops? Here you go.

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda RX-8 (2004-2008)
dcox11b

Want crackles and pops? Here you go.

Post by dcox11b »

Hello friends,

I have been working with a fellow Versatuner and we have been tuning our cars together and testing various issues along the way. So if you want to do crackles and pops and you are looking for the easy way to get started here is a map for you to use and won't explode your vehicle we have been running it for 6 months now continuously. This has been tested on 6-port manual transmission vehicles. I have no idea if its different for 4-port or automatics sorry.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING!!!

1. Your PCM may have different tables than the ones shown in my map due to differences in PCM calibrations. For example: My car appears to only have Ignition - Leading Table 1 and Ignition - Trailing Table 1. Your PCM may have Tables 1, 2, 3 or some variation thereof. It is important to then copy all of the modified values from Trailing Table 1 and paste them into your additional tables 2 and 3 if you have them and do the same for the leading tables. (Paste leading values into leading tables and paste trailing values into trailing tables). Failure to do so may result in issues.

2. You may wish to alter your idle RPM, fan temps, or oiling as you see fit. These were standardized to give helpful boosts to most lightly modified vehicles but if you are running aggressive or custom set ups then you probably know what to do anyways.

3. The decel fuel cut off table may be adjusted to your preferred REDLINE RPM LIMIT. However, I recommend keeping the columns that are changed the same so your vehicle is nice and warmed up before you go off the stock parameters. I would also recommend you to premix your gas for added safety.

4. This map ignition is off of the stock mazda coil set ups. If you need adjustments for a different ignition set up, post it here and I will try to load another map for you or you can adjust the settings to your needed dwell time yourself.

5. If you have a different air intake set up than the stock air box you should adjust the intake valves accordingly. Again customize this to your own car but we have found to actually raise some of the values a bit helps performance anyways.

6. Within the Leading and Trailing Tables you may wish to change the values found under the 0.25 load to their standard stock values if you experience "lunging or lurching" while in first gear going about 20+mph. Some will have it some will not, it depends on the health of your particular car so run it for a day and decide.

7. When decelerating leave the vehicle in gear and ever so gently touch your accelerator pedal for more pops and bangs otherwise you will just get less but they will still come on.

8. For best effect, run a decat midpipe and exhaust but it is still efficient on stock components but you will be adding extra work for the catalytic converter.

Thanks for reading and happy zoom zooming. If you have suggestions then go ahead and put them below if we find them to be helpful I will update the map accordingly and post revisions. :beertoast
Attachments
Pops and Bangs performance v1.00.vtune
(14.42 KiB) Downloaded 919 times
2005 Rx8 Shinka - Black Cherry Mica
DSSRotard

Re: Want crackles and pops? Here you go.

Post by DSSRotard »

I'm just curious. Why did you added more fuel in areas with almost no load or very low load, like cruise areas or idle ? Instead of saving some of that fuel, since the RX-8 dumps tons of fuel already.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Those are load areas when engine braking occurs mostly. Cruising is usually above 0.2.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
DSSRotard

Post by DSSRotard »

mituc wrote: March 28th, 2021, 7:58 pm Those are load areas when engine braking occurs mostly. Cruising is usually above 0.2.
Yeah, but you can cruise between 1 and 1.03 lambda too right ? Also wouldn't it be safer to run richer in the area where max TQ is delivered ?
AMiR

Post by AMiR »

We can not apply these tunes, please make it public for Personal Lite licence these tunes after all this time we have been waiting and you have not done this mode for us at all. :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Ugnius @ VersaTune
DSSRotard

Post by DSSRotard »

AMiR wrote: March 29th, 2021, 9:54 am We can not apply these tunes, please make it public for Personal Lite licence these tunes after all this time we have been waiting and you have not done this mode for us at all. :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Ugnius @ VersaTune
You might want to upgrade to full personal version in order to edit the map, and so on, but if you don't what are you doing, it could be dangerous.
whatrx8

Post by whatrx8 »

for us LS coil users, what needs to be done/changed for this tune to work properly?
Pouyasrx8

Post by Pouyasrx8 »

Hey can you make a update for people that are running CAI ,ls coils decat and fatback exhaust also this map will burn more gas right?
dcox11b

Post by dcox11b »

Pouyasrx8 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 3:47 pm Hey can you make a update for people that are running CAI ,ls coils decat and fatback exhaust also this map will burn more gas right?
I will update another map here for your CAI and LS coils. The exhaust isn't really a big factor here since you've already decat its all good. Girlfriend had surgery so been off the net for a few but will post a LS coil map for you as thats more important than other mods until you go FI
dcox11b

Post by dcox11b »

whatrx8 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:38 am for us LS coil users, what needs to be done/changed for this tune to work properly?
Will post tune for LS coils soon. Please check back later