P0335 code

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda RX-8 (2004-2008)
jlvaldez

Re: P0335 code

Post by jlvaldez »

Bumping this.

I've been having this issue on my 04 RX-8 too. The P0335 is set and i can't clear it for good. I can key on, clear it. Scan, it's gone. Wait 5 seconds, it's back. And repeat. It just keeps coming back.

Out of paranoia i reached the sensor with another OEM one with 0 change. The car drives fine. No idea wtf is up with this.

I have the car sitting in the garage after my drove. Going to let it sit overnight and change nothing but go key on and try the sequence again and see if it's still permanently set.

Fwiw i did a new tune from the stock tune and only modified the dwell (i have d585) and it wasn't set. So i made another revision where i touched maf, afr, and idle and the moment i flashed that it's had a p0335 stuck on it, even though it drives fine.

If it continues doing it tomorrow, I'll flash back to the mostly stock tune and see if it still does it. If it does, I'll uninstall versatile

Very frustrating because I thought it was a sensor issue but swapped with no problems and the car clearly is working even with the code.

Did the 20x brake taps multiple times too
jlvaldez

Post by jlvaldez »

Alright so i let the car sit overnight and it's cold in the garage (70F) and in key on mode it's still setting P0335 the same as before.

Just tried flashing back to my initial "new" tune with only dwell changed. And it is NOT setting the P0335 code.

So I've got 2 tunes where one is just further modified compared to the begining tune and the later tune has a permanent P0335 set.

So as an experiment, I've done the following:

My tune generated with the "new" button and only dwell changed, will call this T0. It does NOT set P0335
I took T0 and then changed AFR, MAF and idle. I'll call this T1. This tune DOES set a permanent P0335 (but drives fine)

1) So now I've taken T1 and copied all values back to T0 values and flashed it to see if it's a table value doing it or just the general tune file when it gets saved multiple times (perhaps some hidden bits are being changed: NO p0335

2) Take T0 and copy just AFR tables 1 and 2 from T1: No P0335

3) Take this modified T0 and copy T1's ignition timing table over: No P0335

4) Take this modified T0 and copy T1's maf calibration: Sets P0335 that i can't clear

5) Take this modified T0, undo the MAF changed and copy T1's idle tables (all of them): No P0335

6) So since this appears to stem from the MAF table being modified, i tried copying in the values from my T1 tune, but left the 2 corners unmodified (i.e. left first and last cell as stock values and copies the guts): No P0335

7) This is weird. So let's try modifying the first cell (the last cell was same as stock already. Never touched it in T1). So i rolled the MAF table back to stock and changed only the first cell to T1's value (slightly higher than stock) but left all other cells in the table stock: Sets P0335 that i can't clear

8) Last test, i take the T1 tune, and only change the first cell of the MAF cal back to stock values but leave all my other modifications: No P0335

So it appears that this issue stems from only the FIRST cell in the MAF calibration table.

So the work around for S1 guys: when tuning the MAF curve, DO NOT MODIFY THE FIRST CELL from stock value, which for me is 0.2574.
wcs

Post by wcs »

jlvaldez wrote: July 17th, 2022, 8:01 am So the work around for S1 guys: when tuning the MAF curve, DO NOT MODIFY THE FIRST CELL from stock value, which for me is 0.2574.
I've heard/been told not to modify the first two cells of the maf table many years ago when I was learning to tune with Access Tuner Race by Cobb

I did not know it would create a P0335 MIL. I was only told that the ECU would do some weird stuff.

<shrug>

Thanks for your detailed investigation.
Sorry the aggravation that it surely created
:beertoast
Jdawg

Post by Jdawg »

jlvaldez wrote: July 17th, 2022, 8:01 am Alright so i let the car sit overnight and it's cold in the garage (70F) and in key on mode it's still setting P0335 the same as before.

Just tried flashing back to my initial "new" tune with only dwell changed. And it is NOT setting the P0335 code.

So I've got 2 tunes where one is just further modified compared to the begining tune and the later tune has a permanent P0335 set.

My tune generated with the "new" button and only dwell changed, will call this T0. It does NOT set P0335
I took T0 and then changed AFR, MAF and idle. I'll call this T1. This tune DOES set a permanent P0335 (but drives fine)

1) So now I've taken T1 and copied all values back to T0 values and flashed it to see if it's a table value doing it or just the general tune file when it gets saved multiple times (perhaps some hidden bits are being changed: NO p0335

4) Take this modified T0 and copy T1's maf calibration: Sets P0335 that i can't clear

5) Take this modified T0, undo the MAF changed and copy T1's idle tables (all of them): No P0335

6) So since this appears to stem from the MAF table being modified, i tried copying in the values from my T1 tune, but left the 2 corners unmodified (i.e. left first and last cell as stock values and copies the guts): No P0335

7) This is weird. So let's try modifying the first cell (the last cell was same as stock already. Never touched it in T1). So i rolled the MAF table back to stock and changed only the first cell to T1's value (slightly higher than stock) but left all other cells in the table stock: Sets P0335 that i can't clear

8) Last test, i take the T1 tune, and only change the first cell of the MAF cal back to stock values but leave all my other modifications: No P0335

So it appears that this issue stems from only the FIRST cell in the MAF calibration table.

So the work around for S1 guys: when tuning the MAF curve, DO NOT MODIFY THE FIRST CELL from stock value, which for me is 0.2574.

Thank you jlvaldez for doing god's work, saving many a headache and leaving wallets intact.
Monstermills

Post by Monstermills »

jlvaldez wrote: July 17th, 2022, 8:01 am Alright so i let the car sit overnight and it's cold in the garage (70F) and in key on mode it's still setting P0335 the same as before.

Wow very extensive amount of time and work, thanks for taking the time to trouble shoot this and I see others chiming in on information and experience. Thank you all!

I have one Question and I may not have read any recent posts past this one that my answer it.

Question: you probably did this or I just didn’t follow along enough ….so simply put can you take the tune that versatune supplies for the d585 coils (the one giving us the cel p0335) change the first cell in the MAF curve back to a stock value? Will that work to clear that tune from receiving the cell.

Thanks again I will now continue to read heh 😏
wcs

Post by wcs »

Basically yes.
I would do the first two cells.
The maf will never read that low when the car is operating.

Put the cells back to stock.
Flash the updated tune.
And you should be good to go.

Unless of course you actually have a bad eccentric shaft sensor (unlikely) or it's dirty or damaged.
Monstermills

Post by Monstermills »

I’ll give it a go I did end up buying the full version shortly after the winter. I have a new sensor and I also have a new maf. Thanks for the help guys.
Monstermills

Post by Monstermills »

Congratulations no check engine, this has been confirmed!
Attachments
D58513E1-CC35-4EE8-9AF4-409391DFCCB6.jpeg
D58513E1-CC35-4EE8-9AF4-409391DFCCB6.jpeg (365 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
wcs

Post by wcs »

:woot
billyadm1706

Post by billyadm1706 »

hello, did you ever find the problem and the solution?
sorry fo jumping in