Full Bridgeport Idle

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda RX-8 (2004-2008)
fgeile

Full Bridgeport Idle

Post by fgeile »

Hello everyone,

I just recently finished up my full bridgeport renesis build and I am fighting an idle issue where when I set the idle to 1750 rpm the idle surges from 1300-2500 rpm. I am not an experienced reflash tuner but I have experience tuning standalones and all these tables that are in this software are confusing me. I understand what most of the ignition correction tables do at idle and how they usually work together to maintain idle but this is really getting on my nerves because it doesn't seem to be doing what I expect it to do. I am very sure that I don't have any vacuum leaks because when I set the idle down to 1000 rpm it is able to hold that idle. It isn't happy about it because of the bridgeport and fuel trims but it will maintain an idle at 1000 rpm. I have tried modifying the leading and trailing idle correction tables as well as the rpm correction tables with no luck in getting it to stop surging. I've messed around with the fueling to get it within 10% of what I want it to be, but still no luck in getting it to stop surging. I've double checked to make sure there aren't any valves in the intake that are stuck as well as the clutch and neutral switch are working as expected and they are. Lastly, it will hold the idle at 1750 rpm when it is in open loop, but as soon as it switches over to closed loop it starts to surge. So when I am doing a cold start it the rpms bounce around a bit but it doesn't consistently surge, but as soon as it flips over to closed loop it starts to surge. Even on hot starts I only get about a second or two of decent idle until it switches over to closed loop and starts to surge. I am nearing the end of my patience, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
wcs

Re: Full Bridgeport Idle

Post by wcs »

Edit: Check this Post out from Walle: viewtopic.php?p=16638#p16638

I don't have any experience with tuning a Bridgeport however:

1) If you can post an idle log. More info is always better if someone see's this that can help.

2) Full Bridgeport is a significant change. I would be looking at my VE and/or Maf scaling

Any other mods other than the Full Bridge that maybe introducing an issue?

g/l
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

fgeile wrote: November 17th, 2023, 5:12 amI am fighting an idle issue where when I set the idle to 1750 rpm the idle surges from 1300-2500 rpm.
Post a log.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
fgeile

Post by fgeile »

Sorry for the late reply, here's the log that I recorded as well as my current tune. I disabled closed loop fueling for the time being and it still surges. With the recent ignition idle corrections it surges slower but still is doing it when I set my idle to 1500 rpm. When I set the idle to 1250 rpm it doesn't surge. I'm not sure what I'm missing here but ideally I'd like to set my idle to 1750 rpm for the cool braps.
Attachments
Basemap.vtune
(9.78 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Idle Log.zip
(62.54 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Walle

Post by Walle »

lets first define what do you consider a full bridge port :cool (post a picture please if you have to see how aggressive they are)
I will take a look at the logs and map in the mean time.
Walle

Post by Walle »

let me ask you:
1. do you have a oem intake or some aftermarket one ? if non oem, please post ALL the detail that you have.
2. why 1500rpm for idle ? seams unnecessarily high.
3. have you tried running it on stock tune, was there same issue ?
4. have you tried disconnecting the maf sensor and letting the engine run on the backup mode (usually runs higher idle and rich, but smooth) . (also try this on the oem ecu calibration)
80HD

Post by 80HD »

i chased high rpm braps too (if you need to ask why you just wont understand) but a drop to 1280 made the braps far more distinct.

i had all sorts of idle problems with a higher idle rpm. but i also have very mild porting (so it turns out)

be true to yourself, an msp will never replicate a pp rew with that metallic strong buzz brap and 1700 idle - it just cant - so you have to be happy with more of a rolling brap at a lower rpm.

From what im learning you got to be super aggressive with your porting and your timing to get a decent brap, or turn to a msp with GSLE housings, or even pp it. That's a lot of work for what is effectively noise and TBH a ghost port tune will probably sound as good as an aggressive msp bridgy albeit totally fake.

You will tend to find a why bother with bridgeport on an msp in certain circles - but why have fireworks - they are pointless and do nothing, yet they make you smile. Don't let the nay sayers spoil your fun.

but this is just my conclusion where i have arrived with my research and experiences, failing and trying again. part of the journey and along for the ride. if there is more out there to be learned, I'm keen. so, watching with interest.
fgeile

Post by fgeile »

Sorry for the delayed reply

80HD - the only reason why I chased the 1700 rpm braps was because on the first start I had the idle set there and it managed to idle there with a nice aggressive consistent brap. I haven't gotten it to idle there since, I have been running it with the idle set at 1250 and it seems to hold that idle well. I moved up the idle to 1350 and it goes into the same weird feedback loop. So I think I am going to stick with 1250 for now and live with it. The first google drive link I attached is my current idle, I would like it to be more consistent of a brap rather than it coming and going, not sure if that is possible.

Walle - I have custom intake that I made to replicate the AEM one, 3" on the end to 3.5" where the map sensor is. I used the KMR full Bridgeport template so its not crazy aggressive on the primaries, if I were to do it again I would probably extend the Bridgeport to be wider and closer to the coolant jacket like the secondaries are. I have included a link to my google drive where the picture is stored, it was too large to upload as an attachment.

Again I appreciate everyone's replies, I've started working with Ryan Rotary Performance for getting a tune since I have come to the conclusion that refresh tuning isn't for me and I should leave it to someone who is familiar with it. I'll stick to standalone tuning, it's more fun anyways since you get to make your own rules and not play along with Mazda's rules. I'll post again once I get a finalized tune and make a conclusion for those in the future that are trying to chase the brap like I was.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13YTaUM ... share_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XVBI3F ... share_link