ECU firmware upgrade

Tuning discussion for all first generation Mazda RX-8 (2004-2008)
jimmy.caille

ECU firmware upgrade

Post by jimmy.caille »

Hello,

I am using Versatuner to adapt the oil injection maps, idle, fans temps and such and am quite happy with it.
However, I am interested in updating my ECU to the latest firmware as the S1 had a recall for some fuel maps (or was it oil injection or emissions ?) and I don't know if it was done on mine.

Does flashing a new (or same) custom map after updating the software also update the 'ECU firmware' itself ?
Is there a way to see what I am currently running ?
Now, returning to stock will install the exact same flash as day 1 or will I get the latest firmware corresponding to my ECU ?
Or do I need to go to a dealer in order to do this...

I wonder if I'm just worried about nothing and the differents maps will be replaced anyway when installing Versatuner... or will they be my new 'base' maps ?

Any insight would help, thanks
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Re: ECU firmware upgrade

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

A VersaTuner tune contains only the performance related changes. When you flash a tune, a base tune for your ECU is taken and the performance related changes are applied "on top" of it. This modified base tune is sent to the ECU, replacing the entire tune that was previously there.
That's why we only need to define base tunes for all supported ECU types of the same model and they can share the same performance tunes.
We use the latest base tune available from Mazda for a specific ECU when we add support for it. If Mazda releases an update at a later time, we need to update the base tune for that ECU type. If you have a link to that recall, it will usually list the ECU calibration IDs that are affected and their new revisions. You can also check the ECU calibration ID of the tune on your ECU by clicking "Identify" on the main screen of VersaTuner and checking the "ECU Calibration ID" field.
If you return the ECU to stock and perform the update at the dealership, it will be overwritten next time you install VersaTuner, so there is no point in doing that.
jimmy.caille

Re: ECU firmware upgrade

Post by jimmy.caille »

Hello Ugnius,

Thank you very much for the quick and precise response !
I will check the ECU calibration ID against the recalls and not worry about updating it at the dealership.

Cheers
/Jimmy