Desired AFR

Tuning discussion for 2.3l powered first gen Mazda3 vehicles
Greenmachine501

Re: Desired AFR

Post by Greenmachine501 »

in somewhat good news my desired AFR is now changing, however it seems to be targeting leaner values under load than what is on the tables and my fuel trims in general are much better averaging around 5% that said its also trimming leaner under load to match my actual AFR to the desired ish. any ideas on why its targeting leaner values? other than that i changed the afterstart enrichment back to stock in the last 3 cells and have fixed my hot start issue.

on a sperate note went to the mechanic today and he said theres nothing wrong with my trans so is there any way i can smooth out my on throttle to engine braking transition? generally ive heard it called transient throttle but theres no tables for that so would i just have to play around with my decel fuel cut and ignition tables? is so what way should i be messing with it if not bummer ill have to live with it
Attachments
zoom tune test.zip
(200.78 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
09 Mazda 3 GT 2.5L swapped
Tuned with Image by Image
xbrandino

Post by xbrandino »

That is good to hear, you can probably change the car to run richer mixtures sooner in the closed loop tables but that shouldn't change much due to you getting 14.7 desired at load > 1 and open loop conditions. I think you need to get your MAF dialled in because that heavily impacts how the car responds to fuelling changes.

Can you explain more with what you mean about the transmission, I've never worked with automatics and only manuals.

Also when you log, can you add Accelerator Throttle Position cause I can never tell if your putting your foot flat or gradually pressing it.
2007 Mazda 3 MPS | 219kw / 474nm @ wheels
Greenmachine501

hey i added APP, TP, ignition advance to the log and managed to find a quiet backroad to open it up a bit more than usual. its still targeting lean values under load but then hitting WOT yeilds rich values much more tame overall than it was with my og tune, bottoming around 11.5AFR. could i change my volumetric efficiency values to lean out my WOT fueling or should i use my maf settings? also i put in new injectors yesterday and since then ive got a p0101 code, sprayed starting fluid around injectors ,maf ,and tb and couldnt find a vaccum leak and maf seems to be behaving as it always had

as for the trans issue it is a manual, if you look at TP and rpm @30-40 seconds im lightly getting on and off the throttle maintaining speed, you can see the rpm stuttering the actual amount that it stutters isnt all that much but its very noticeable in the car, maybe its just character but it bothers me because no other car ive driven has had an on/off throttle transition this harsh including other mazda 3's so id like to do something to mitigate it. happens in any driving conditions, gear, and even in cruise control hence my trans/driveline diagnosis.
Attachments
zoomtunelog_2.zip
(132.43 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
xbrandino

Post by xbrandino »

Always start with calibrating MAF but if you find things aren't changing then you recalibrate the VE table. If you have put new injectors in you will need to rescale the injector tables or else it won't work. Although, I am puzzled on why the car demands lean conditions while WOT. Have you deleted any O2 sensors or maybe you have a faulty O2 or sensor somewhere?

In terms of the transmission issue, you might need to play around with the DBW Throttle tables or maybe the Calculated Load but I'm unsure on how that table works yet.

Something that just came to mind is the Catalyst tables, from my understanding these calculate the temps depending on Load and RPM. I don't believe there is a EGT sensor on these cars so you can possibly play around with those values. Try lowering them or raising them (any values that are > 700, make them 700). From what I have heard if the Catalyst Temperature is lower than expected It'll lean out the AFRs to make it hotter and if the temperature is higher than expected it'll richen the AFRs. I'll get you to add Catalyst Temp to your logs too so we can debug that.
Greenmachine501

the new injectors i put in are just fresh bosch 62405's only replaced them because i was unsure of their condition and got a good deal on new ones, they came on the motor when i bought it. the 2 o2 senors are stock and in stock location, i had the primary replaced last year, secondary could be bad ill check with a multimeter tomorrow if i can find specs for it online same with my maf sensor, couldve been bad this whole time but is just now throwing a code. ive done a log of pretty much every sensor on the car and couldnt pick out any strange behavior from anything, that said i dont have any known good to compare with and could be missing something.

ill try playing with the cat and VE tables and see if i can make any positive change. theres no egt sensor on these cars but ive heard honda accords use the secondary o2 to monitor cat temps, maybe same story on these cars too i cant see there being a cat temp correction table otherwise. if thats the case and my 2nd o2 is bad could be throwing off my cat corrections. my main cat could also be plugged throwing off temps stock motor burned like a quart every 1000km. that said when i pulled the 2nd cat out it was clear
xbrandino

Post by xbrandino »

Yeah I think best bet is to make sure everything is check, if you haven't I suggest cleaning your MAF sensor. You will be surprised how much that can change things if it's dirty.

We have gone through 70-80% of the tables in the tune so I'm unsure why your car is acting the way it is, but the 'Catalyst' tables could have something to do with it.
Greenmachine501

I cleaned my maf sensor maybe a month ago or so it made no change, tried a new air filter today too and still no change

made minor adjustments to open/closed loop afr tables so they end at about 13 afr and a minor adjustment to injector base pw compared to the scaled 2.5 tune you gave me

spent the past few days playing with pretty much every table i could think would cause my ecu to target wrong values and nothing ive done has made any difference this includes; calculated cat temp, cat temp correction, maf calibration, VE, load limits, and calculated torque. I was pretty much just multiplying table values up and down to see if anything changed, was just changing table values at random the smartest idea? probably not but all i could think to do was trial and error, thankfully no obvious damage was done. as far as the cat tables go actual cat temps ramp slower than calculated cat temps, at one point i set cat temp correction table to 0 for what i figure is no correction and saw no change. short of running 100% open loop like i was previously i cannot get this ecu to target the correct values.

i am beginning to think this has to be a hardware issue but as far as i know everything but acutal and desired afr is logging the way it should, the only things left i can think of are bad ecu or bad primary o2 thats not throwing a code. going to look into an aem wideband to confirm o2 sensor readings but i have no idea how to check the ecu's health.

this may be noteworthy but the car behaves the similarly on the stock tune.