WGDC During Tuning

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
Fstrnyou

WGDC During Tuning

Post by Fstrnyou »

Is there anything wrong with setting the WGDC to 80-100% across the board during tuning and then setting appropriate values after? The ECU can correct -100 / +20, so I don't see the problem with it. I haven't done it, but I'm thinking it would save some time.

Scenario:
You increase the load tables. Then you increase the load and boost limits and whatnot. Go do a log. You open it up and realize you aren't reaching targets because the WGDC isn't high enough. UGH! Increase and get another log. FML, the WGDC needs another increase. Rinse repeat. Finally you can start seeing if the targets are good. Do more logs.

I'm thinking, set it high and let the ECU correct. Get your loads set how you want after a few logs, then review the WGDC log and plug those numbers back into that map. Going forward, there shouldn't be much correcting going on behind the scenes.

Odds are, I'm completely bonkers. I've only been playing with VT for about a month. And I'm sure setting WGDC correctly from the get go is easier with experience.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: WGDC During Tuning

Post by mituc »

Because correction is possible, think the other way around: would you rather start with smaller WGDC values and have the ECU logic correct it (increase it in this case) until the load targets are reached or you want to throw a rod first because you overshot massively a load target and then figure out what yo do?

When starting to tune with big turbos people do it the other way around:
- set the WGDC to 0 across the board;
- see where the spring pressure + corrections get them;
- up the WGDC accordingly and use the WGDC values logged as a new starting point.

It takes 3-4 iterations which can be done even in one day if you're dedicating a lot of time to it. Otherwise with a factory turbo the BCS DC Base table contains values which are more or less spot on, depending on other flow mods and the load target difference compared to stock.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP