Weird behavior - bad battery.

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
fez

Weird behavior - bad battery.

Post by fez »

So this is second time I noticed this happening - last time it was a year or longer ago, but I remember it clearly.

My battery is being fishy, most likely because I tend to leave my car for a couple of weeks at a time without starting it and the battery gets drained completely. Yes, my fault. :) So at this time it's working, but sometimes gives me hard time on cold starts. The other day I crank it and it felt really heavy, but the car started. AC kicked in like battery was reset, but ODO was still good and radio stations were fine.
Driving around I noticed trims were all over the place and I saw crazy knock anywhere after 2600ish rpm - pain in the behind. So of course I was like WTF ARGHH. Then on day 2 I remembered my previous incident, walked outside, took the cable off for a few seconds, put it back. Now the car drives fine, learned the trims, minimal knock.

Weird - yes, but like I said this is not the first time so I'm almost positive that there is a way to screw up cpu's learnings by half-resetting the battery.

Thoughts?
fez

Re: Weird behavior - bad battery.

Post by fez »

alright ... now I'm sort of skeptical about the cause (as probably most of you as I did not get any responses).
W/o any changes DH was showing some crazy knock around the same 2600ish rpm. I unplugged/reconnected the DH and it went back to normal. ARGHWTF!! I'm so frustrated with this car. :|
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

If you keep your car in a garage, why don't you connect a battery charger that supports trickle charging to keep the battery from draining.
fez

Post by fez »

Normally the places I store the car at doesn't have electricity. I really don't want to buy my own house, but if I want to take care of my car better, I might have to. :/
jdeves

Post by jdeves »

You know you love your car too much when you consider buying a house just so you can have a garage to put it in. :P
fez

Post by fez »

Haha! No question about it. :)