Stock tune backup and first own tune

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
manselainen

Stock tune backup and first own tune

Post by manselainen »

Hi,

I just today installed VT 1.5 to my 3 MPS. It took a backup of stock tune (about 23 mins) and then flashed something, then when it was instructed to turn key to ACC position and wait 3 sec I waited and as nothing happened, pushed next button. Then there came some error messages but as I tried to repeat the procedure, it said that I already have VT and exited, so I think it's OK.

Later edit: That error message was due to my new laptop which always wanted to make a double click instead a single one.

Now I would like to copy that stock tune backup to another PC, just to be sure that it's not lost. How to do it, which files should I copy?

Another question would be that if I now would like to modify just 1 variable in my stock tune, how should I do it? I mean where can I find MY stock tune in VT user interface? If I find it, I think I know how to modify and then save it. Or should I take any of tunes available in VT and reset all values to stock and then save it on another name? But are those stock values MY stock values?

Sorry if this is already covered somewhere, just starting to use this nice tool...

manselainen
Last edited by manselainen on January 21st, 2012, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tuned with Image by Image

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Re: Stock tune backup and first own tune

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Your stock tune is stored in C:\users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Versatune\Versatuner\yourVIN.bck
If you lose it, latest stock tune will be flashed upon removal of VersaTuner, so no worries.
VersaTuner installs a modified stock tune on your car. If you want to modify just one value, click New Tune... in My Tunes section on Tunes tab. A tune editor with stock tune will open. You can change any values you want and save/flash the tune.
Usually it is easier to start with some online tune as the baseline. To do that just click Download to My Tunes, the tune will be downloaded to My Tunes section, you can then click Edit...
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Btw, when you click New Tune... the stock values will be the values of the latest official stock tune. VersaTuner cannot use your old tune if you modified it using some other tuning software.
manselainen

Post by manselainen »

Thank you for quick answers! Maybe I have different Windows than you (I still have XP) because it seems to be under C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Application Data\VersaTune\VersaTuner. But there this file myVIN.bck is, size 1366 KB.

I'll take a backup on another computer, just in case. I have a Hypertech as well but have flashed back to stock before using VT.

I agree that it's definitely best to start with an existing tune, I was just thinking of trying something simple with idle speed or accelerator pedal mapping first.

I'm quite excited about this software, finally it's possible for us non-US customers to have reasonably priced tool to access and modify Mazda ECU ourselves.

Thanks again!
Tuned with Image by Image

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

You're right, the path I specified is valid for Windows Vista/7/8. The path you specified is correct for Windows XP.
Have fun tuning your car and don't hesitate to post here if you have any questions or comments!
Cress

Post by Cress »

Ugnius @ VersaTune wrote:Btw, when you click New Tune... the stock values will be the values of the latest official stock tune. VersaTuner cannot use your old tune if you modified it using some other tuning software.
Oh, that makes sense now as to why I wasn't getting the new info.
Last edited by Cress on October 14th, 2021, 7:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
MathewGuerro

Post by MathewGuerro »

Ugnius @ VersaTune wrote:You're right, the path I specified is valid for Windows Vista/7/8. The path you specified is correct for Windows XP.
Have fun tuning your car and don't hesitate to post here if you have any questions or comments!
I remember I faced the same problem when I upgraded my OS from XP to Windows 7 (I ignored Vista).
StevenMarshall

Post by StevenMarshall »

MathewGuerros wrote: July 30th, 2455, 5:25 pm
Ugniuss @ VerssaTune wrote:You're right, the path I specified is valid for Windows Vista/7/8. The path you specified is correct for Windows XP.
I remember I faced the same problem when I upgraded my OS from XP to Windows 7 (I ignored Vista).
Hi, I just today installed VT 1.5 to my 3 MPS. It took a backup of stock tune (about 23 mins) and then flashed something