Part throttle KR

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
skiptownmcat

Re: Part throttle KR

Post by skiptownmcat »

kevstewart wrote:Can part throttle knock be 'dangerous'?
If so how much and how often?
I see it now and again after flashing a new tune and just curious if it can be something to worry about :|
No, anything under 7 is fine at light throttle.
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

You mean 0.7, right? I think anything above 3 is a real detonation (unless your knock sensor is interpreting some external vibration as a knock).
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

I was always told at part throttle you will see anywhere between 1 and 7 degrees as the ecu utilises fuel optimisation logic. At wot though up to 2 is acceptable but it's better under 1, this comes from Cobb themselves.

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

I'd prefer to see no more than 5 ever at part throttle and ideally less than 3.

Under WOT I'd like to have no more than 2 and preferably less than 1.05.

If your knocking AFR tables are richer than your normal tables, it will auto-enrich the mixture when knock is detected.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Been for a 50 mile motorway drive today, got the knock countdown thing 3 times in the whole journey and it only lasted for around a second compared to every minute or so before. Changing the knock retard timer decrement step size 1&2 in the ignition tables to 960 has really helped.

mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The KR values you guys are talking about are so big I can't even read them! :biggrin2
Steve @ VersaTune wrote:If your knocking AFR tables are richer than your normal tables, it will auto-enrich the mixture when knock is detected.
The stock knock AFR tables are leaner and so they are in the custom tunes in the database. Should they be richer or this would be just another way of getting out of the KR zone? Pulling out some timing will diminish the knock, enriching the mixture will also do that, and so will do both.
I guess by default the first method is used, even though these are just some altered tables and not a completely new ECU software, so I guess in its hidden subroutines the ECU software will also run richer AFR's the next moment it hears the knock retard sensor screaming.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

I don't fully understand why the knocking AFRs are leaner in the stock tune. It seems counter-intuitive to me.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Probably why so many bolted, stock tune motors went boom.

MPS2NV

Post by MPS2NV »

When you say "boom" what do you mean?
My 12/05 mps6 bent a conrod and damaged a nice list of other parts with only 43000k on clock and completely standard! Out of warranty by age aswell :| Basically the reason Im here!
MPS6, CP-e 3.25 maf-TIP-HPFP-injector seals-DP-TMIC-Magnum pistons,DNP manifold,Corksport CBE,ATP GTX3071r,Carrillo H beam rods, ARP main/head studs, GS BCS,Turbosmart BOV,Ported manifolds/head,engine balanced
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

"Boom" may be bent rod, spun rod bearing, rod/block divorce, spark plug insulation falling into the cylinder, or anything that will put your engine in a deep and prolonged coma or lower its price to its own weight in aluminum and other metals.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7