Tuning Guide

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
Kevin

Tuning Guide

Post by Kevin »

I was wondering if at some point you guys might release a "Tuning Guide"?

The reason Im asking is that theres so many variables in the Software and I think most of us dont really know what everything is and the effect it will have on our maps. Most of us knows about Mafs and the everyday stuff but theres alot of other stuff in the Software that seems way out for me....
Tuned with Image by Image
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Tuning Guide

Post by mituc »

I guess each tables have a description and most of these things can be figured out from there.
However, I second your request, I'm more interested on how these tables interact with each other, which ones have precedence and how a value change alters everything else.

I know that this is why we have tuning professionals, because they are supposed to know these things, but giving a little help to the average consumer at least to understand what's going on will be welcome.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Sassimac

Post by Sassimac »

Having dealt with professional Tuning Companies in the past (I used to run a car tuning business in Australia), I have found most of what they do is to a point guesswork and "black art." The full on professional companies rarely expose their secrets and give almost nothing away. You just need to trust them. I always found this absolutely unbelievable. The concepts of slave and master tuning equipment lead you to believe, it's all about protecting files and knowledge. And from a business perspective, one can understand protecting knowledge and data. However, this can leave the end user with a poor experience.

The wonderful thing about what the VersaTune Guys (Steve and Ugnius) have done is give the end user more power and knowledge to learn and do things completely themselves. By making this a community-centric experience, we all learn together. Personally, I have never seen such a well laid out product for tuning the Mazda.

I believe a few things are very important to remember.
1: If you don't know something, ASK. You know the old saying, "There are no stupid questions."
2: Log, log and log.
3: Start small, and work your way up.
4: Be careful and thoughtful.

The best thing we can all do is share the knowledge. That way we all learn and can make for a better experience. I am sure as we all move forward, more and more data and information will become available.
Now not a Beta Tester. Proud Owner of a Personal License.

I use ECU Tools for iPhone to help with Boost & AFR conversions..!!

Mods include: ETS TMIC, K&N Filter and Turbosmart BOV.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

im 100% with u guys on your replies.

I know more than the average guy but as Sassimac said, I want to know what fits in where with what. If i change this, what will the result be on the other variables. Steve and Ugnius are always willing to help and their replies are really fast and helpful.

Its just always handy to have a reference to go back to and see for yourself when u are doing something.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

It's coming in pieces. The MAF cal article is the first chapter. Next is load targeting and management. I've got some nice visuals to help with understanding load.
OMISPEED3

Post by OMISPEED3 »

That sounds great :beertoast
Tuned with Image
jdmage_mx5

Post by jdmage_mx5 »

Have you guys moved forward any more on a tuning guide for Versatune? I am new to tuning and Versatune so I have been using Google to the extreme but a tuning guide would be extremely helpful for any newbs.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

I guess it comes down to either having an idea how a car tune works or figuring it out. Otherwise you're stuck using the OTS tunes or hiring an e-tuner (both being reasonable approaches).

But if you want to do this yourself just do some reading and then ask your questions here. We can help you out since we all started having questions rather than starting to tune right away.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
jdmage_mx5

Post by jdmage_mx5 »

Thanks mituc!

I am working on a MAF calibration right now. I have a basic understanding of what is going on but Im quite sure I will have some questions come up when i start digging in. Thank you for the positive encouragement. :drive
Enki

Post by Enki »

It pretty much boils down to this:

1. MAFCAL
2. Set boost
3. MAFCAL again
4. Set fuel (AFR)
5. Set timing (find MBT, then back it down 2 degrees or so for saftey)

It's not terribly difficult, but there is a large amount of general knowledge you need to know...Like gen-ones need load targets .1 to .15 higher than your real target so VT can actually hit your target.