Altitude

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
Rich990

Altitude

Post by Rich990 »

Hi guys, new here.

I'm based in Johannesburg, South Africa. I have a gen2 so i'm waiting on VT support for that, but a mate has a gen1 up here and he is going to be using VT on his car. (He's going BNR Stage2, DP, HPFP, SRI+TIP etc)

So I want to find out what we should be looking at when tuning for Johannesburg conditions:
- 5500 ft altitude
- average summer temps: around 25-35 degrees celcius day, down to around 15degrees celcius at night
- average winter temps: around 12 - 18 degrees celcius day, down to zero or minus two degrees celcius in night.
- Fuel: We get 95 RON, supposedly, but i think that realistically its lower than that.

Any chance of running a high load tune on that?

Plans for my Gen2:
CorkSport SRI + TIP (installed)
CorkSport RMM Inserts (installed)
VersaTune or EcuTek tune - to come
Autotech HPFP Internals - to come
Downpipe from a local exhaust shop - to come

I'm looking for 300whp and around 450nm (330lb/ft) at the wheels eventually.

Currently the car does 198 whp and 341nm (251 lb/ft) at the wheels in Johannesburg, with the intake fitted.
Stock it did 191 whp and 329nm (242 lb/ft) at the wheels.

Altitude kills the MPS on the stock tune :/

Cheers guys :chugbeer
Kevin

Altitude

Post by Kevin »

Rich, whats up. Glad to see u onboard the VT forum. What loads are u looking at hitting? I think even with a base 93/95 map that myself, Steve and Joberto uses u'd be able to get 300whp easy. I must say, i noticed the massive difference in performance when i went down to the coast. There I made 196wkw with a base tune, no loads where increased. This was only with a roughly 23% MAF calibtation. When i came back tk the highveld it went down drastically. Jo's car is making insane power and yes...think its prob the in the top 3 fastest on mocsa.

Dont think a high load map will be required. Only think that u will def need is an upgrade to ur fuel pump as the MK2 requires a min of 1600psi where the MK1 oy asks for 1200psi. Hope the MK2 support comes soon. I know u will be just as stoked as the rest of us
Tuned with Image by Image
Rich990

Re: Altitude

Post by Rich990 »

Thanks Kev.

Wish my car went well at the coast, I was there last week and it sucked. I was hitting either load cut or some silly amounts of KR... car was stuttering badly. Heard throttle closure at times as I heard the bpv dumping thru the intake!!!

Was planning on doing the HPFP this month but cash is tight. My gf wants to go to Thailand for holiday so I gotta save for that!!! Ping pong shows await!! Ha ha ha
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

The turbo will flow less at altitude due to the lower inlet pressure (barometer). Because of this, the ECU reduces the load/boost to prevent overspinning the turbo. The base tunes probably need a touch of clean up for altitude use. It's hard to find every possible scenario to beta test with. I'll work with the others at altitude and get the Base tunes dialed in.
Kevin

Altitude

Post by Kevin »

Awesome, thanx a mil Steve.
Ping Pong shows hey Rich? Haha!!! Please dont take any coke in your hair
Rich990

Post by Rich990 »

Kevin wrote:Awesome, thanx a mil Steve.
Ping Pong shows hey Rich? Haha!!! Please dont take any coke in your hair
Hahahaha yes, a friend was there in December, she said they can shoot Darts as well, hahahahahaha. :jawdrop
Kevin

Altitude

Post by Kevin »

Haha!!!!