1st Dyno run on VT High Load map - wtf?

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Re: 1st Dyno run on VT High Load map - wtf?

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

If you're calling for too much BCS DC, reducing the BCS DC table won't slow spool. It will prevent overboosting.

The Req Load Accel/Decel tables may need some attention too.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Not sure what that means :D Although since I'm trying to iron out overboosting then maybe it'll work. Gonna just reduce the BCS DC a bunch more tomorrow to see what effect it has :D
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post a 3rd gear WOT log from 1800-5500. That will tell what BCS DC you need to be running.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Really? Not 4th gear? :? Your wish is my command, sir. I'll got do some logs :)
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

4rd gear WOT from 1800 would be too hard/dangerous for the car/engine/turbo especially with an improperly tuned BCS base table...
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
maestro

Post by maestro »

Ok. I've finally dialed out the boost spike by reducing the BCS DC siginificantly. I'm still in 2 port mode since I can't find ANYWHERE in the entire Universe that even knows what a 6mm blanking cap is, let alone sells one, so I can't yet convert to 3 port mode. However, I've reduced my DC to much lower levels:
Now, in a 4th gear through-the-revs pull, I'm getting much smoother boost, no spike and a flat load curve throughout the range.
Red is load, purple is boost (manifold pressure), orange is BCS DC, brown is RPM, pink is AFR. This much better reflects what the ECU is actually being requested to do rather than showing a big reaction to tonnes of insta-spool as all my previous graphs have shown. I think I'm going to up the load targets another tad now although I fear I might be reaching the limits of my fuel pump at around2 load. I've added the csv for this data run to teh post :)
Attachments
Data1.csv
(14.59 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Looks much better!!
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
maestro

Post by maestro »

Cheers STC - starting to get a grip of the basics now ;)
maestro

Post by maestro »

BTW - is <= 0.7* KR something I want to try to dial out and if so, how might I go about doing it? Is it as simple as pulling the timing a tad at the most common knocking points or would colder plugs be a better solution? Or am just getting ahead of myself at this point :D
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Intermittent knock of .35 and .7 are pretty common in the 4500 - 5500 range. If you see it in every log, then pull .5* or 1* timing and see if it goes away.

Look at the boost air temp and afr too to make sure that you aren't running lean or stupid high air temps.