Gen2 question

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Gen2 question

Post by mituc »

Let's suppose that the beta testing for gen2 will end, say, this time next year.
Is it possible that someone with a 3MPS/Mazdapseed3 2nd generation (2010+) to acquire a ful license of the Versatuner for this car, totally ignore the OTS maps (I believe that this is actually in testing rather than the actual versatuner application itself) and flash the car with a tune put together by a reputable e-tuner?
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Re: Gen2 question

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

We can make an early release available once the application has been fully tested.
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

Why you ask?
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:We can make an early release available once the application has been fully tested.
Thanks Steve!
As always, I don't want to sound pushy, but just trying to get an idea: do you have any ETA on the release date or at least how much time do you think you need to complete the testing?
skiptownmcat wrote:Why you ask?
For a friend of mine which is ready and willing to trash his EURO ECU and swap it for an US ECU to be able to use it with the Cobb AP. And personally I think that while there are other tuning solutions available which actually work this is a mistake with a lot of implications.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Rich990

Post by Rich990 »

pleanty of interest in South Africa as well, theres about 5 or 6 of us with Gen2's that would be interested in Beta testing.
opiuz

Post by opiuz »

+1 Rich990

side question, how 'safe' would it be to do the beta testing on the ECU, any chances of bricking it.
would we be able to copy the stock software off, and put back if need be.
Kevin

Gen2 question

Post by Kevin »

I think with the beta version, VT still has to install on the ecu. When it installs the first time it makes a backup of your tune thats on the ecu. U can return the car to stock if need be. Also, if u dont have an OEM map on when doing the backup, you could just rename the backup file to something else. VT will then flash the map for our region, i.e australian oem mazda map.

As far as I know it works exactly like the final product, just with a limited time lic. I dont think it will get bricked that easily. If garbage was written to the ecu while flashing yes, but other than that i dont think so.

Hope it comes out soon for you guys. I know im happy with VT, even my wife said its the best money Ive spent on my car so far...
Tuned with Image by Image
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

We bench test the code on a live ECU, so there no reason is why your ECU would become bricked. If there is a problem with lost power or connection during flash, we can recover from that.
PsyPhin

Post by PsyPhin »

So Steve, how is the testing going? I am itching, I need to put my intake in... :)