Smoking turbo fixes

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
laxplayermjd

Smoking turbo fixes

Post by laxplayermjd »

It appears that mine is starting to smoke.

I was wondering how many of you guys have swapped the turbo out for something else or made fixes to either help or resolve the smoking.

http://www.pt-performance.com/showProdu ... =4&pID=260

specifically ive read alot of good things about there fix, so i bought the piece but it seems excessively hard to install the piece into the valve cover. Anybody else bought this and installed it?
fez

Re: Smoking turbo fixes

Post by fez »

I had the dealer install a new turbo couple of years ago...
The new one isn't smoking as bad, but still smokes if I idle long enough.
Whatever... I don't care for the environment all that much, I guess. :D
laxplayermjd

Post by laxplayermjd »

yea so ive read the 07 turbos almost always get replaced haha, who knows tho right now i only got the smoke twice
laxplayermjd

Post by laxplayermjd »

well i bought the ptp pcv fix, after installed when i hit the gas it blew some smoke burning off residual oil in the intake, guess it shows how much the difference in crankcase pressures makes.

I hope i done smoke extensively like some pople have, idk bout you guys but i think i can hear my turbo spinning, kinda like a metallicly ratting/rotating type of noise. mainly in like 1st gear light load about 2-3000rpm, like when going through parking lots with the windows down. Anybody know what im talking about?
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Turbo spinning should sound like a whiz combined with a whistle. Like a Jet engine but higher pitch. There should not be any metal contact sound. Check your cat heat shroud for rattling. If you really think the turbo is the source, you can take the turbo inlet pipe off and visually inspect the compressor fins and check for shaft play.