New to Tuning

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
N3RDPWR

New to Tuning

Post by N3RDPWR »

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to tuning, I've been reading heaps.

I've started with the MAF Calibration. and my figures are way out!
I'm getting combined LTFT and STFT at -38% before the calibration. (Mostly this happens in closed loop)
Is there a way to pull more fuel out before readjusting the MAF?

I don't have simple bolt on mods, see below for a list. Your help would be appreciated.
Also I had a CPE Standback2 prior to moving over to VersaTuner, we pulled 310hp atw prior to aborting due to limitation of the piggy back ecu... :(
'07 Speed3
CP Custom Forged Pistons, Pauter Forged Rods, ATP GT3071R, CP-E 3" Full Exhaust, ATP FMIC, mrlilguy CDFP, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Fidanza Lightened Flywheel, Custom Injen SRI (Chopped)
skiptownmcat

Re: New to Tuning

Post by skiptownmcat »

Do you have a big diameter maf housing/intake?
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
N3RDPWR

Post by N3RDPWR »

Only a 2.5" intake.
'07 Speed3
CP Custom Forged Pistons, Pauter Forged Rods, ATP GT3071R, CP-E 3" Full Exhaust, ATP FMIC, mrlilguy CDFP, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Fidanza Lightened Flywheel, Custom Injen SRI (Chopped)
N3RDPWR

Post by N3RDPWR »

Only a 2.5" intake.
'07 Speed3
skiptownmcat

Post by skiptownmcat »

All you can do is follow the numbers, if they're off that far it'll probably take you a few revisions just to get the trims acceptable.
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
N3RDPWR

Post by N3RDPWR »

Great

Thanks for the tip.
I'm already up to my 3rd revision... maybe a little too conservitive... I've only taken 20% out so far...

:)
'07 Speed3
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

In OL you may need to ignore the LTFT and STFT readings. In OL just look at the desired AFR/lambda values versus actual AFR/lambda (work with either you feel more comfortable with, AFR or lambda, as AFR=lambda*14.70 (14.67 but VT seems to multiply with 14.7 which is fine).

Just make sure the LTFT readings in closed loop (especially LTFT) are not too big. And by "not too big" I mean not more than -/+ 15%, at 20% the ECU may start taking contra-measures to compensate such as closing throttle, spitting more fuel, whatever, but will not learn those trims. The LTFT's should be, ideally, in the -/+5 % range, and if you're a stubborn perfectionist you can get them in the -/+2% range.

And I think that -/+2% is the best you can get as the barometric pressure changes, ambient temperature changes, and so on, will always change the density of the air thus affecting the ability of the engine/turbo to suck a certain mass of air as the volume varies.

P.S.: With a 2.5" intake you shouldn't be farther than like 10%, maybe 12.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
N3RDPWR

Post by N3RDPWR »

Thanks,

I've just reflashed the ecu after doing the 3rd lot of MAF Calibration... seems to be a little better... except for when coming back to idle... it will fuel up big time and stall (0.650 lambda)

But If I use the key to start it will idle fine... Could it be loads?
'07 Speed3