Adding DP to a tuned car

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
mrQQ

Adding DP to a tuned car

Post by mrQQ »

Hello,

I have a MS6 with CAI, TIP, TMIC and VersaTuned to hit 2.0 load 3.0-5.0k

I also have a DP that I haven't installed yet.

Question: considering I have a car that's tuned pretty much as far as K04 can go, what benefit would DP give me? Would I be able to hit same loads with lower BCS? Does that mean that I would be able to hit 2.0 load higher than 5k? (I can get ~1.95 5.5, 1.8 6k, 1.7 6.5k now)?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Adding DP to a tuned car

Post by mituc »

You can go set and hit higher load targets as the turbo will spool faster, will be able to flow even more thanks to the free flowing exhaust and will heat up just a touch less.

However, I can't find some fuel pump internals in your list. With load targets of more than 1.9 and stock fuel pump internals you're just playing with fire...
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
mrQQ

Post by mrQQ »

They are on to-do list. I'm monitoring pressure, at 2.0 it's fine.

Will DP allow the K04 to flow more on high rpm, or not?
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

DP is one of the most effective mods. Turbo spools sooner/faster and will flow more due to less back pressure. Fuel pump internals are typically required when load > 2.0.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Not significantly, and that's just because of the limitations of the K04. It's like blowing a whistle with your lungs or with an air compressor.
Past some RPM (probabil around 5k rpm) and flow (probably 250-270g/s) the K04 will only push hot air into the engine which may result indeed into more flow but less power due to the excess of fueling and retarded timing advance.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

The lower backpressure means more flow at lower pressure because you catch the tip of the compressor efficiency before the choke line. With the backpressure from a standard DP, you are at a higher pressure ratio on the compressor map and above the efficient area.

It might be the difference between hitting 270 g/s and 290 g/s, so less than a 10% increase. It does give more area under the curve though due to the earlier spool and better throttle response.
manselainen

Post by manselainen »

I just ordered a DP, will install only in August though (wanna clear yearly inspection first). Let's see what changes after having it on.
Tuned with Image by Image

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM