Boost Vs Timing Power

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
laxplayermjd

Re: Boost Vs Timing Power

Post by laxplayermjd »

thanks steve for all the info.
helps me understand tuning more and more each day.

where have you gained all your knowledge and experience in tuning if you dont mind me asking?
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

I've been taking stuff apart since I could hold a screwdriver. I got started in EFI with Accel DFI 6.0 about 15 years ago. I have played with Megasquirt quite a bit as well. I like the total control you have when you build the board yourself and have access to the source code with the developers comments. I use my 1987 VW Golf (2.0l 16v turbo 20psi) as a R&D platform. It's very fun/raw driving experience and parts are cheap when they break. cough transmissions cough... I love fabrication work. I just wish I had more time to play :)

I read a lot of books and articles to keep up with technology. DI has changed things quite a bit. All of the OEMs are moving to DI now.

Believe it or not, I was about to sell my MS6 and buy an Audi to work on a Bosch ME9 solution when I teamed up with Ugnius. We've been hard at work on VersaTuner for over 18 months now. It's cool to see it all coming together.

If you want to read up on turbos and tuning, check out some of these:

Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems (Engineering and Performance) by Corky Bell - a little dated now, but still excellent

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... ch101.html - great turbo fundamentals

Automotive Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines - SAE book with the SAE pricetag. 2002, so it's a tad dated as DI info is changing fast. Good direct injection fundamentals though

Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals by John Benjamin Heywood - 900+ pages... IIRC he was/is an MIT professor 1989, so a little dated on engine management stuff, but the Otto cycle engine hasn't changed much otherwise.

I've spent many nights cuddled up with SAE/ISO papers and the data sheets and instruction set documents for the Mazda ECU too ;)

Lots of hands on with the laptop connected to the ECU doing datalogging and lots of analyzing logs and tweaking tunes afterward.
laxplayermjd

Post by laxplayermjd »

cool stuff, ive learned all my di stuff from bmw, but even they cant work out the bugs yet. Although every engine they make now is turbocharged di. there is still alot of differences between systems, comparing to mini coopers as well. and mazdas is different as well. we also dont run high levels of boost.

ive dont sooooo many high pressure fuel pumps its not even funny lol. as far as doing data logs and tweaking im a fast learning and fairly knowledgable. i believe i just need some time behind the logging and tuning.(hint hint waiting for the logging). hands on and seeing the before and after makes understanding so much better.

Btw steve is there any chance that you have tables i could view. for example the differences between the stock tune and the open throttle tune. the more i can see at this point and compare the better. or will i have to wait for different versions of the software to come out. also if not yet this is a good feature to implement, being able to have your custom table and also view the values of stock or 91 vs 93 tunes persay. Knowing the differences between each is very helpful, and also a good reference if your change values for the worse haha
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

The integrated tune editor will be implemented some time after the datalogging feature is done. We want to make it as clean and intuitive as possible, so we are not releasing the quick and dirty editor that I use to write tunes. It's a little more of a burden on me since I end up writing tunes for people who could most likely do it them selves.

We're trying to keep the bar high on this project. Releasing a crude tool wouldn't fit with that idea.
laxplayermjd

Post by laxplayermjd »

ok thanks for the update steve, im just wait it out somemore, meantime i have my cpe intake but trying to talk myself into tip now too before i put it on.