Ambient air temp. reading

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
bjf

Ambient air temp. reading

Post by bjf »

Hi.
Did some logging today, following my fmic install.
Since i was on a holiday trip i didn't go in to much detail, but i watched the ambient air temp and boost air temp.

Anyways, noticed something strange about the ambient air temp. reading:
The outside temp. was suppose to be around 20C according to wheater services, the cars info display also read 20C.
However, VT read a value of 31C as ambient air temperature.
How is this possible, where does VT pull the ambient temp from?
IAT was NOT logged at the time.

/Bjorn
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Ambient air temp. reading

Post by mituc »

Only Gen2 reports the AAT (Ambient Air Temperature) through OBD2. Most probably what you were looking at was the Intake Air Temperature which is close to the ambient only during high speed cruising (around or above 50mph/80Kmph).

However, if you own a Gen2 then it's possible that the ambient air temperature sensor to have been heat soaked previously and not ventilated enough to read the AAT correctly.

P.S. wherever you are, I think I'd like to live there. I'm getting tired of tuning my car in +40C weather during summer or -30C during winter. :)
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
bjf

Post by bjf »

I'm in Finland, 20C is pretty normal in the summer.

I got an 06 MPS 6.

Did some further logging today and logged both ambient air temp. and intake air temp and sadly they DO NOT correlate.

Actual air temp today was 20C, VT read ambient 34C, intake temp. 49C :(
What might be going on here?
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Gen1 3 MPS does not support ambient air temp via OBD. I'm not sure where that sensor is located. The ambient baro sensor is on the ECU PCB.

Try logging all of these temps after the car has been off for a long time (overnight) and all sensors should be reporting the same temp. They should read very close then.