Tuning via Load/gear vs boost

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
laxplayermjd

Tuning via Load/gear vs boost

Post by laxplayermjd »

So i just would like to start a discussion of pros and cons and why it should be done each way.

So steve tunes via load per gear or w.e you may call it. I believe tuning this way is harder, maybe,maybe not.

Now on all the other forums most do not tune this was using their cobb AP. Many suggest setting all the load target tables high (2.5) or so . unreachable with stock k04. They then will turn via boost targets per gear.

I believe either will work fine. I dont know if there is pros and cons of each way. i Dont fully understand yet how each way is done.

Whats everyones input on this?

Steve itd be great to give us a quick right up on some tuning via load/gear ,rpm, throttle or w.e else it takes into account
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Re: Tuning via Load/gear vs boost

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

I'll need to read up on ATR a bit to answer that.

I don't know if they have altered the ECU logic to use the boost target tables. From what I see, they are disabled in the stock ROM.
laxplayermjd

Post by laxplayermjd »

from my understanding the ecu is going to use the lowest target of either. thats why they sets the loads way high. then itll target the boost since it cant hit the loads. Something like that anyway
laxplayermjd

Post by laxplayermjd »

i think i may have been mistaken on how AP users are tuning. I believe now they setting the tables for max boost( i think) to high loads. then strickly use the load/gear tables and tune load per gear until reaching their desired boost levels. How do these tables relate to each other etc?
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

That makes more sense. That pretty much follows the stock logic.

The ECU looks up the desired load based on the RPM and APP input then takes the lowest of that or any of the following:

Barometer load limits
Gear load limits (a table for each gear)
Absolute load limits

That determines the load target. If the actual load is less than the target, the ECU ups the boost. If it's above the load target, the ECU lowers the boost.
If the load is severely over the load target, the ECU pulls timing too.

What most people do - at least those who do not drive up and down mountains all day- is put the Baro limits way above what they'll ever hit, so that table is no longer a concern. Then they set the absolute load limits above whatever they will ever see to get that out of the way.

Then, they scale up the accelerator pedal load request table to the approximate maximum desired load targets at 100% app.

Then set the load limits per gear so that the boost stays below the desired max boost in each gear. This is important since the engine responds very differently in each gear.

Once we release the tune editor, it will be more obvious. It makes more sense when you can see the tables and their values.