ATP GTX3071r Turbos

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
MPS2NV

ATP GTX3071r Turbos

Post by MPS2NV »

Hi,
Seen a few of you are running the ATP turbo and wondering what intial boost setting issues you may of had?

I have 0'd out my WGDC base table from 1500 rpm and up in all cells but seem to be hitting around 21.4 psi peak (249kpa/36.1psi) which is not WG actuator pressure, the rod has not been adjusted (may not be correct from ATP), the EBCS hoses and fittings are new/secure/visually in good condition, I may by pass EBCS if I can be bothered or have long enough tube :/

Has anyone had an issue of this nature with the WGA rod?

I have ported the WG flap and the compressor housing has also had a date with a lathe and die grinder. Nothing touched on the inside diameters of housings.

Thanks!

Mitch
MPS6, CP-e 3.25 maf-TIP-HPFP-injector seals-DP-TMIC-Magnum pistons,DNP manifold,Corksport CBE,ATP GTX3071r,Carrillo H beam rods, ARP main/head studs, GS BCS,Turbosmart BOV,Ported manifolds/head,engine balanced
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: ATP GTX3071r Turbos

Post by mituc »

Maybe you have the 21PSI spring?
At 21PSI the engine feels fine, but if you want to up the boost up to like 23-24PSI above 6k rpm the boost control is going to be a bitch.

Also, if you have the stock MAP sensor most probably you're boosting more than 21.4-21.5PSI, because it will not read more than 250kPa MAP. What air flow are you seeing? I may be able to estimate the actual boost based on that. It's a pity if you didn't change the MAP sensor considering the pistons and injector seals that you already have.

Post a log and a complete list of your engine mods.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
MPS2NV

Post by MPS2NV »

355g/s is the largest I have seen at this stage in a log I did today (only one I have)
I was under the impression that the standard WGA is around 12-14 psi, the gtx rod has the thread on it but have never touched it.
I have the 3bar map with PNP harness.
One thing that I have done is fitt different fittings into the GS EBCS and all the boost tubing is 1/4" ID, I also didnt like ATP signal fitting that goes in the intercooler pipe and the GTX compressor housing doesn't have the ideal castings/ thickness (shit compaired to GT) where you would normally place the signal fitting so to get around that I placed the fitting in the intercooler tank, maybe I need to review that?
By passing the EBCS would see if thats effective place for boost signal.
This is the log, may be useless but I dont know what Im looking at so knock yourself out! I think thats a throttle close, Is that from still having APP requested load table untouched or is that more from having over boost throttle reduction set at 225kpa?

Thanks.
Attachments
General performance.csv
(16.34 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
MPS6, CP-e 3.25 maf-TIP-HPFP-injector seals-DP-TMIC-Magnum pistons,DNP manifold,Corksport CBE,ATP GTX3071r,Carrillo H beam rods, ARP main/head studs, GS BCS,Turbosmart BOV,Ported manifolds/head,engine balanced
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

The early ATP housings had bad boost creep problems with 3" catless exhaust due to the internal wastegate port being too small.
You can disconnect the power to the BCS DC to run straight wastegate spring to test.
MPS2NV

Post by MPS2NV »

I originally had ATP gt3071, not super early but the WG port was just plunge cut, I ported that prior to selling and fitting to an ozmps friend, it came up nice so I did that to my GTX prior to fitting it as well.
I will test WG spring pressure using your method, Thanks Steve!
MPS2NV

Post by MPS2NV »

Ok, today didnt go to plan but none the less I have this!

MAP reading at KOEO = 104.0 kpa (15.08psi)
Hot idle 750rpm = 31 kpa (4.5psi) Does the 10.58psi difference equate to 21.5Inhg?
EBCS unplugged max = 90/100kpa (14.5psi) Thats sounds about right to me...
0wgdc with EBCS plugged max = 249kpa (36.11psi) Is this whats actually happening? I have the overboost throttle close set at 225kpa (32.63psi) this all sounds bad :/

Thanks
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Yes, it doesn't sound good at all. You will have to make some tests, such as connecting a tire pressure gauge to a compressed air line on one side, and to the wastegate actuator on the other side, and see at which pressure the arm starts moving.
I've seen that previous log you posted, the wastegate duty cycle is around 0 all the time, so I don't think we're talking about boost creep here, I think it's either too high spring pressure or some boost control lines are plugged in incorrectly (I know you checked them, I'm just listing the things that I think could lead to the issues that you have).
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
MPS2NV

Post by MPS2NV »

I checked the ebcs installation twice using GS instructions but will go over it all again after work, thanks for your suggestions :)
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

One more thing: even though the barometric pressure with the engine off seems about right (even though 104kPa is the highest I've ever heard off, in my country even at the sea level it doesn't exceed 102kPa), I was wondering what constants are you using for the MAP calibration. Also, please let us know the MAP sensor part number, there are several 3BAR MAP sensors which require different constants.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
MPS2NV

Post by MPS2NV »

Im using the bosche 845 3bar and using the suggested calibration settings that Steve posted in the 3bar MAP sensor thread, Im in Australia and pretty much at sea level.
Settings as follows;
map scale additive 5.4444
map base multiplier 65.7777
second multiplier 1

This afternoon I removed and checked the EBCS, the tubes are all in good condition and tubes going to correct locations, I checked that the EBCS wasnt blocked and it seems perfect.
I wasnt able to get vac/pressure test tool to test WGA but I did get tubing! I fitted hose directly between WGA and boost source and took the below log, the max seen was 218kpa (31.62psi) the log shows the boost profile being alot different and the jump from 174kpa to 218kpa can be felt as a surge.

Thanks
Attachments
General performance WGA spring pressure.csv
(25.34 KiB) Downloaded 656 times