MPS2NV's ride

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
MPS2NV

MPS2NV's ride

Post by MPS2NV »

Ok, been here reading and annoying other uses for a short time and thought I would start a thread on my car and its modifications, to interact and share my ideas and also to involve all as far as tuning progress with VT :)

My car is 12/05 MPS6 and Im in Australia, to cut a long story short I bought the car brand new in 06 and loved it just the way it was for around 30000klm and then... all its power just seemed to go on holidays! The car was taken to mazda with the report of lack of power only to be told that everything was fine! I drove the car around for a further 13000Klm ( by now the car was over its 3yr warranty) until one day... clutch pedal pulse, knocking noises had me now repairing my beautiful still new mazda! :banghead Just so you all get an idea its now only got 48000klm on it and leather smells new! It had bent a conrod! STD! This event on its own had stuffed the dualmass flywheel and the transfer of thrust forces was enough to also upset a few bearings in the gearbox :/

Today this is the list of current modifications;
Overhauled gearbox
Solid, balanced, lightend flywheel, sprung center brass button clutch, HD pressure plate (Not a bad choice but wouldnt do it again)
Engine is balanced
Carrillo pro straight H beam rods
ARP head/main studs
CP-e magnum pistons .020 os
Ported cylinder head
DNP mani (heat coated and port matched)
GTX3071 (heat coated and I also attacked the compressor housing with a lathe and die grinder,IWG ported)
CP-e DP (inside bell mouth all welded up neatly also heat coated)
Cork Sport power series exhaust system ( loud as)
CP-e pre filter
CP-e air filter
CP-e 3.25 MAF
CP-e TIP
CP-e TMIC
TurboSmart BOV 50/50
Inlet manifold tumblers and shaft delated, port matched with head and TB
3bar map,EGR delete, SpeedFlow fittings in every external port of mani
CP-e injector seals
CP-e HPFP
GS ebcs
Speedflow fittings for all boost signal lines
Autometer carbon boost gauge
All turbo hose work done by me with SpeedFlow products
OCC using SpeedFlow products and a custom fitting in crank breather baffle cover
Sure REM
Sure rear diff mounts
Whiteline RSB

So, I have a good starting point for a nice package :)
Tuning is not my forte' but Im a pretty patiant person so eventually I will get somewhere with it!
The first step was buying the VT software, due to the larger maf I needed the car to at least run! I borrowed Steves suggested Maf cal for the CP-e 3.25 and look out! She fired up! Thats a great start considering events not mentioned above!
So, a few concernes I had prior to running the car was a solution for the turbo drain, as all 6 owners know the transfer case area is tight, I had a gt30 previously to the gtx and the STD oil drain was used without drama but I oppted to make one second time around my only fear being the reduced size from -10 to -08 hose would contribute to a smoking turbo issue, so far so good... untill this weekend I was allowing the crank breather to VTA via OCC without returning it to the IM while I sorted an inline check valve for the return line, this should now eliminate any concern of smoking turbo I may of had! I also used a restrictor in the oil feed line to the GTX!
I am also making a divider for my OCC and using a baffle to help remove as much oil before IM.
So far I havent really played with my tuning as much as Im trying to understand data from my logs and what processes are involved in changing them! As stated in another thread I have currently removed my EBCS, adjusted my WGA rod in an attempt to get some kind of boost control! It would appear that more throttle = more boost! It does not hit a limit and plateau! Very important thing to get onto:) As my car is not kept at my place I very rairly get the chance to play with it but the boost is the priority at the moment for sure! I will attach a 3rd gear log, all comments are welcome of course!

Thats my progress so far!
Attachments
upload.csv
(12.93 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
MPS6, CP-e 3.25 maf-TIP-HPFP-injector seals-DP-TMIC-Magnum pistons,DNP manifold,Corksport CBE,ATP GTX3071r,Carrillo H beam rods, ARP main/head studs, GS BCS,Turbosmart BOV,Ported manifolds/head,engine balanced
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: MPS2NV's ride

Post by mituc »

If you want my opinion :) , I'd say to put back the EBCS and then hire an E-tuner to get the best out of it. I've been working with Lex@Stratified and the last revision of the tune he sent me smoothed the boost more than it was from the factory.

Right now you seem to be running too much boost for the gas you have, too less timing and too rich AFRs even for pump gas. Well, the AFRs may have dropped to the minimum allowed (0.68 lambda) because of the light KR you had there but the idea is that you will hit and exceed 100% injector duty cycle way too soon. I think that with 5kPa less boost in the 5500rpm area and a 2-3 more degrees of timing you should make a bit more power.
And since you have a built block you should really add WMI and benefit from the extra strength and ability to hold more torque across the entire rev range. WMI will help a lot because Australia is pretty hot.
Just give it a thought.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
MPS2NV

Post by MPS2NV »

I have no drama introducing the EBCS back into the system once im happy that WGA is doing its job, meth/E85 may be a later addition but at this stage the idea of this car is mainly to pull up, fill it up with 98 as always and then drive it after all its a street car. No changes have been made to the timing or fueling and was only the other night I decided to observe the AFRs in the logs then cast my eye over the tables to see whats on order.
An E tune isnt out of the question but after touching every part of a car for the last 14years its nice to learn this aspec of things, something most mechanics never have the time to do :) Buying VT software and not treating it like a new full on learning experience would be a waste, thats why we have private licences for VT! I admit there is plenty to take in and it doesnt happen over night! I also have another car and the MPS is a bitter experience. There is no rush, as you can tell...

The changes to my OCC basically stopped me from getting to involved with MAF cal, mix that with the boost concerns,car loaction, busy work periods and drinking beer many months have gone by! Im having a day away from work tomorrow to spend with the car! On the list is fitting my return to IM from OCC, sorting the WGA problem, fitting the boost gauge and maybe a drive.

looking at the above log at the point where AFR is 0.680 you dont think that the KR is from the throttle reduction? In the OL WOT overload table in that rpm range has an AFR target of 0.687, would this be more related to my boost and being over the targeted loads?
MPS6, CP-e 3.25 maf-TIP-HPFP-injector seals-DP-TMIC-Magnum pistons,DNP manifold,Corksport CBE,ATP GTX3071r,Carrillo H beam rods, ARP main/head studs, GS BCS,Turbosmart BOV,Ported manifolds/head,engine balanced
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

The 0.68 lambda is definitely from that light KR you had there (which can be rich knock) if the target is 0.687. Now, I checked again and in the stock tune or even the VT OTS tunes the minimum desired lambda is 0.618. I thought that's 0.68 - sorry :) However, the VT OTS tunes have the normal/overload AFR target for that rev range set to like 0.735-0.74 IIRC... so I assume you've set it to stock which is fine as long as you will lean it a bit (but not too much).

However, the light KR may come from the fact that the ECU has no boost control other than closing the throttle plate (that is why the APP is at 100% and TP is at 50 is). I know your tune is far from being finished now, but I'd use an OTS tune as a point of reference at least for timing, fueling and VVT.
Last edited by mituc on July 11th, 2013, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
MPS2NV

Post by MPS2NV »

I did have one of the other tunes in it but decided that I would leave stock with the changes being maf and sensor related until I my head around all the avenues, wasnt sure how things would pan out with all the work in the engine haha