BASIC MAPs questions

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
LastV8

BASIC MAPs questions

Post by LastV8 »

Hello.
As owner 2010 Mazda 3 MPS BL owner, running on 98EU Octane, want to ask some questions.
I am completely stock. I am thinking about Versatuner, specifically about two maps:

Base 93US/98EU Octane with Crackle and Pop
or

Base 93US/98EU Octane High Load with Crackle and Pop

Both have description about increase of boost. Stock boost is up to 1 bar. How max boost is after these maps?
Another question is, what is a very rough guess of torque and power increase? I saw the power/torque curve on your website, but that was very schematic, no specific.

Thank you for your patience, I waiting for answers.
Have a great day,
L. Slovakia, Europe
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: BASIC MAPs questions

Post by mituc »

You can go with the high load no problem. Even though the cracles and pops tunes may sound fun, if you are 100% stock make sure you do not abuse too much of those crackles and pops because over time the catalythic converters may suffer.

Considering the factory tune as a point of reference and knowing that in a good day these cars make between 245 and 255 crank PS (factory spec 260PS) and about 390Nm of torque (factory spec 380Nm) I'd say with the high load tune you may see about 275-280PS of peak power and about 430Nm of torque. However these are the differences just between the peak values, because the gains are a lot more consistent over the entire RPM range. By example a stock MPS will make about 225bhp at 6000rpm and about 175bhp at 6500rpm, after installing versatuner you may see above 270bhp at 6000rpm and above 250bhp at 6500, so about 75bhp increase over stock at that rpm point.
And that's just with a high load tune, with more fine tuning even with a 100% stock car you can extract more power and still be safe.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
LastV8

Post by LastV8 »

Thanks, I'll try Versatuner for sure. It sounds fine.
LastV8

Post by LastV8 »

Maybe one flick about "if you are 100% stock make sure you do not abuse too much of those crackles and pops because over time the catalythic converters may suffer."

I'm bone stock, so it's recommended to not use crackles and pops, is it right? Or what does it means "abuse too much", so how much is "too much"? thank you
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

LastV8 wrote: January 18th, 2021, 8:47 pm Or what does it means "abuse too much", so how much is "too much"?
If there was a way to quantify the abuse I could give you more exact figures, but there isn't :)
"Too much" maybe not shifting to an upper gear and letting the car rev higher just so you can do pops and bangs until next stop light, every time.
It's actually hard to tell the current condition of your primary cat and how much more abuse like this (crackles and pops, launch control, and so on) can it take. I've seen cats shatter on a few cars from abusing launch control too much just for the sake of showing off, and the crackles and pops are a bit more powerful. I just wanted you to know, because you may be as well one of those people "if it will break I will just replace it" which is perfectly fine. For some other people though this may be an unexpected and unpleasant maintenance cost. So differs from case to case.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
LastV8

Post by LastV8 »

mituc wrote: January 19th, 2021, 11:39 pm
LastV8 wrote: January 18th, 2021, 8:47 pm Or what does it means "abuse too much", so how much is "too much"?
If there was a way to quantify the abuse I could give you more exact figures, but there isn't :)
"Too much" maybe not shifting to an upper gear and letting the car rev higher just so you can do pops and bangs until next stop light, every time.
It's actually hard to tell the current condition of your primary cat and how much more abuse like this (crackles and pops, launch control, and so on) can it take. I've seen cats shatter on a few cars from abusing launch control too much just for the sake of showing off, and the crackles and pops are a bit more powerful. I just wanted you to know, because you may be as well one of those people "if it will break I will just replace it" which is perfectly fine. For some other people though this may be an unexpected and unpleasant maintenance cost. So differs from case to case.
Thank you, I fully understand, I'll be carefull.

Maybe one more thing. What I know is that MPS/MAZDASPEED3 have torque restriction on 1-2 (maybe also third) gears. It doesn't allow to push full 1 bar on STOCK ECU. What about the versatuner basicmaps (standard and high load), have that restriction too? Is it related to SWAS and I need it explicitly disable?
Thanx
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Any fuel injected car has limits in the first gears to prevent wheel spin, to protect gearbox, axles, and so on. So these cars will have these limits in place as well and you can find them in the tune under the Load Targeting section.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7