09 CX7 Pops/Crackle

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
Carb0nLancer

09 CX7 Pops/Crackle

Post by Carb0nLancer »

Alright, so I have been toying with VersaTuner for a little bit now.
Obviously there is only 3 tunes for the 09 CX7, with by the looks of it, no new tunes coming in the near future.

I am used to EVOScan and OpenECU for tuning my car, as for the wifes, I have to use this.
I want to add some pops, lower RPM range.
I know I have to tinker with Fuel on Decel, and Timing, but which tables are these listed under in Versa Tuner?
Has anyone made a guide on where to start with the numbers on this?

Thanks.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: 09 CX7 Pops/Crackle

Post by mituc »

Carb0nLancer wrote: March 14th, 2021, 4:59 pm I want to add some pops, lower RPM range.
I know I have to tinker with Fuel on Decel, and Timing, but which tables are these listed under in Versa Tuner?
Unfortunately the CX7s don't have some of the features the 3 and 6 MPS have implemented for in these tunes (mainly LC and NLS).
However for implementing the crackle and pops you don't need to disable the decel fuel cut (which leaves the car with no engine braking ability in normal driving/traffic conditions), so all you have to do is to lower the decel fuel cut values from the Fueling -> Decel Fuel Cut Requested Load Threshold to values lower than what you'd get under engine braking in those areas and then alter the timing in the same rpm/load areas.
Once timing and decel fuel cut is done remember to up the volumetric efficiency table a bit in those areas to make the ECU inject some more fuel.

Here-s a glimpse at my implementation:
Image Image Image

Remember to alter both the CL and OL max timing tables with the same values.
If you want the bangs to be louder give it more fuel by multiplying the VE table values with 1.01-1.02 or so, usually 1-2% is enough.

Good luck!
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Re: 09 CX7 Pops/Crackle

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

CX-7 doesn't have the zero accelerator pedal fuel cut disable. You can do cracks and pops, but it will require you to hold your foot on the pedal ever so slightly. If the accelerator pedal position hits zero, it will fuel cut and there won't be any pops.