MS6 Throttle Response

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
Deldran

MS6 Throttle Response

Post by Deldran »

I am in the process of purchasing versa tune.

I have not had a change to play around with it, but i am curious as to what others have done to improve throttle response. I have been running the stock tune for the weekend while my AP is shipped to its buyer. The throttle response on the stock tune is garbage. as in i almost killed it several time from a stop because the beginning of throttle travel basically does nothing

So what have some of you in the VT community done to improve throttle response in the 6
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Re: MS6 Throttle Response

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Ramp up the APP Requested Load table more aggressively than stock.

If you are specifically concerned about starting from a stop and not stalling, you can adjust the APP Multiplier Speed Adjustment table to give more APP when speeds are low, ie. from a stop. You'll see there is a bit of a ramp there in the stock tune. I bumped this up a lot since I installed a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and did a balance shaft delete.
Deldran

Post by Deldran »

That could explain why the stock tune is crap. I have a LW flywheel, and BSD with high compression build motor.

Thats not my only concern but want the throttle response to be very linear, as in 1 to 1 on throttle input to plate opening.

I do alot of autocross so I like a bit more touchy throttle compared to what i am experiancing now. It could also just be the maf cal is off for the stock tune who knows. I got some work to do once the VT gets delivered
Deldran

Post by Deldran »

Steve,

What would be a good map to start with. I have an 11:1 compression motor, Cobb Short Ram, CS TIP, and catless 3" downpipe
I looked through some of them but wasnt having much luck figuring out which to use as a base map to modify
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Nothing off the shelf will have timing that will work with 11:1 compression.

You could start with Base 93US_98EU Octane High Load with High Flow Down Pipe as a starting point and pull the timing back.
Deldran

Post by Deldran »

So everything is going to have timing to aggressive for 11:1?

I will look at my AP map and see if i can correlate the timing values into VT
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

You should be able to copy and paste. One you poke around a bit, you'll see the same tables. The names are probably just a little different.

You can also copy tables between VT and Excel or Open Office Calc to manipulate the data if you find that more comfortable or you need more advanced math than VT Tune Editor offers.