Base tune and random cut

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
donnathemazda

Base tune and random cut

Post by donnathemazda »

Current mods:
Corksport Cst5, HPFP, FMIC, 3.5" Intake, Downpipe, exhaust

DISCLAIMER: CAR WAS WORKING FINE WITH CST4
During drive under wide open throttle, car is not even making wastegate pressure (which should be around 17 lbs). It seems like Absolute Load is low (along with Mass airflow obviously) . Under WOT car has strange cut (no engine codes, seems like throttle reduction) around 6000 RPMS. Cut occurs at approximately 75.4 seconds under WOT. APP drops when we hit the cut. I don't think there are any boost leaks or vacuum leaks (Although I'm not discounting the possibility of a sneaky one existing), I've heard possible BOV problems may cause this? Already replaced faulty fuel check valve. Log attached, sorry for all the clutter in the log, wasn't expecting to share. MAF cal needs some work but fuel trims are ok under WOT.

Attached is my tune and datalog of the cut occurring. Please note that WGDC has been reduced back down to 0 for the tune attached, but was at around 20 interpolated down for the log. Let me know if I should log anything else, or if you guys have any ideas for fixes. Will be posted to give additional details if needed.

Thanks ahead of time! I hope its something stupid and easy to fix that I'm just missing. :biggrin2
Attachments
Base Tune New v2.00.vtune
(39.74 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
DATALOG strange cut.csv
(9.37 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
2007 Mazdaspeed 3 - CST5, HPFP, FMIC, CS 3.5" intake, 3" DP, VTA BOV
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Base tune and random cut

Post by mituc »

Well, there's a pretty big chance you will get random cuts with this tune. Actually they are not cuts, they seem to be very violent wastegate duty cycle corrections. Check with who made this tune for you make sure he really meant putting those numbers in there for the EBCS calibration.
Also apart from being totally out of sync in pretty much all areas, the tune is full of all sorts of unnecessary changes. They do not affect the functionality in any way just that it's misleading and sometimes hard to follow what actually the tune creator (I won't say "tuner") actually meant.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
donnathemazda

Post by donnathemazda »

mituc wrote: June 1st, 2022, 7:50 pm Well, there's a pretty big chance you will get random cuts with this tune. Actually they are not cuts, they seem to be very violent wastegate duty cycle corrections. Check with who made this tune for you make sure he really meant putting those numbers in there for the EBCS calibration.
Also apart from being totally out of sync in pretty much all areas, the tune is full of all sorts of unnecessary changes. They do not affect the functionality in any way just that it's misleading and sometimes hard to follow what actually the tune creator (I won't say "tuner") actually meant.
Thanks for the reply mituc,

I forgot to mention that we have verified that this does the same thing with the max WGDC tables at 0 (which should put the boost at wastegate pressure I believe) waste gate duty cycle remained at 0 when tested. Load levels, boost, and mass airflow g/s remained about the same as log shown. Waste gate on this turbo should be 17lbs from my research. Do you think there is a boost leak that we missed? Wastegate malfunction? Or is there something within the tune that would do this other than EBCS?

If there is anything you think may be useful to log please let me know
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

donnathemazda wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 8:16 am Do you think there is a boost leak that we missed? Wastegate malfunction? Or is there something within the tune that would do this other than EBCS?
I do not think there's a boost leak, and the MAF cal even though quite choppy is not too far off. However as I mentioned the tune is out of sync in pretty much all areas, and the EBCS tuning is probably made for the turbo of a cargo ship.
donnathemazda wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 8:16 amWaste gate on this turbo should be 17lbs from my research.
With this in mind there's one more reason why the EBCS tuning should have been done even more gently.
What EBCS are you running? ( Maybe it's the boost control setup of a 2500mm turbo from a cargo ship... :bouncinggrins ).

P.S.: are you self tuning or you're using the services of an e-tuner? Was this tune copied from somewhere or was put together from scratch/stock?
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
donnathemazda

Post by donnathemazda »

mituc wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 8:48 am
donnathemazda wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 8:16 am Do you think there is a boost leak that we missed? Wastegate malfunction? Or is there something within the tune that would do this other than EBCS?
I do not think there's a boost leak, and the MAF cal even though quite choppy is not too far off. However as I mentioned the tune is out of sync in pretty much all areas, and the EBCS tuning is probably made for the turbo of a cargo ship.
donnathemazda wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 8:16 amWaste gate on this turbo should be 17lbs from my research.
With this in mind there's one more reason why the EBCS tuning should have been done even more gently.
What EBCS are you running? ( Maybe it's the boost control setup of a 2500mm turbo from a cargo ship... :bouncinggrins ).

P.S.: are you self tuning or you're using the services of an e-tuner? Was this tune copied from somewhere or was put together from scratch/stock?
Hahaha, No cargo ship EBCS here, the EBCS is the upgraded corksport unit.

A local tuner and I are working on the tune, some of the random values you see are a result of some experimentation with this issue (map and load limits, fuel pressure changes, etc. as you noted before these changes didn’t do anything). The tune is based off of a high load versatuner preset and changed from there, since upgrading from the CST4 (which we were able to tune quite successfully), we were working on tuning load per gear, which brings us to where we are now.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

donnathemazda wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 9:17 am Hahaha, No cargo ship EBCS here, the EBCS is the upgraded corksport unit.

A local tuner and I are working on the tune, some of the random values you see are a result of some experimentation with this issue (map and load limits, fuel pressure changes, etc. as you noted before these changes didn’t do anything).
Will all due respect, there's no way a professional tuner made those settings in that tune, at least not one who knows what he's doing. Tell your tuner to look again, maybe he made a mistake or was thinking he/she was changing a totally different set of tables. There's a pretty big chance correcting those things there will fix the current behavior.

The OTS tunes are based on the factory tune, so by most part they are similar and work pretty well. Some versions of the OTS tunes contain a bit more and clever work and the tables are still pretty much kept in sync, while as I stated above your tune is out of sync quite a bit so the transitions will be harsh and/or violent/stuttery/shaky.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
donnathemazda

Post by donnathemazda »

mituc wrote: June 5th, 2022, 4:11 am
donnathemazda wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 9:17 am Hahaha, No cargo ship EBCS here, the EBCS is the upgraded corksport unit.

A local tuner and I are working on the tune, some of the random values you see are a result of some experimentation with this issue (map and load limits, fuel pressure changes, etc. as you noted before these changes didn’t do anything).
Will all due respect, there's no way a professional tuner made those settings in that tune, at least not one who knows what he's doing. Tell your tuner to look again, maybe he made a mistake or was thinking he/she was changing a totally different set of tables. There's a pretty big chance correcting those things there will fix the current behavior.

The OTS tunes are based on the factory tune, so by most part they are similar and work pretty well. Some versions of the OTS tunes contain a bit more and clever work and the tables are still pretty much kept in sync, while as I stated above your tune is out of sync quite a bit so the transitions will be harsh and/or violent/stuttery/shaky.
The problem with the cut was fixed by changing sparkplugs, car pulls fine just not making boost, only 13.3 lbs.

the problem of not hitting wastegate is currently being investigated but is believed to be a bad wastegate, holding it a little open at all times. Wastegate spring was confirmed to be 17 lbs by opening up the wastegate, meaning we were never making wastegate pressure. Will update when the new wastegate is in.