P0126 after EGR delete

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
Stinow

P0126 after EGR delete

Post by Stinow »

Hi all,

Last week I removed my EGR and installed the Damond Motorsports EGR Valve delete kit (or actually EGR Full removal kit, but noticed that a previous owner already added the small extra plate).

After I while I got the P0126 again. Had this code about 3 months ago, then I replaced the thermostat (it was always open) and the code went away.

I made sure there is enough coolant and 'bled' (?) the system so there should be no air bubbles.

Anyone has any idea which steps I could take to debug this issue? Are there some things I can log using the software?

Thanks a LOT in advance!
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: P0126 after EGR delete

Post by mituc »

With the EGR removed, blocked or not, this code appears in two situations:
1. thermostat stuck open;
2. failing ECT sensor;
Or of course both, which may be the case for you.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Stinow

Post by Stinow »

Thanks!

Well, I replaced the thermostat about 3 months ago and worked perfect then (before that I had the same code).
Today I replaced the sensor, but still the same. No overheating, just slowwwwwly getting warmer and temp dips as well.

Buy another thermostat? Or is there something I can log?

This weekend I was planning to go on a first ever 'tour' with some car lovers. Is it safe to drive still? Or would you advise to have this fixed first?

Thanks!
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Stinow wrote: March 1st, 2023, 10:09 am Buy another thermostat? Or is there something I can log?
Was the thermostat OEM? If it was not OEM then you have basically two problems:
1. during winter these aftermarket thermostats will open sooner and will lead to issues like the one you have;
2. even though they open sooner, they allow for less flow and that will be obvious during summer when the ECTs will tend to be higher than you've had with the OEM thermostat.

These are the potential issues that you can have because of the thermostat, and some of the symptoms match meaning that replacing your thermostat with the right part may fix the issue.

However, removing the EGR (why?) will deprive the cooling (and heating) system of one heating source placed right on the exhaust side of the engine which is pretty efficient at recovering lost heat especially in the first few minutes after a cold start during the cold season. So it may be just the effect of removing the EGR even though I did not hear about anyone getting a coolant temp code after that.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Stinow

Post by Stinow »

Thanks a lot for your advice!

The only one I had available at that time was aftermarket. I'm guessing that is indeed the problem.

Tomorrow morning I will replace it with a brand new Mazda OEM thermostat.

Will post here how it works out after several 100's of KM.

Thanks again! :thumbup
Stinow

Post by Stinow »

Well, replaced it with the OEM version. Now driven about 1300km since then, and code is gone, light is gone and running well!

Thx a lot Mituc!
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Epic WIN! I'm glad you figured it out!
Now it's time for more power! Versa tune it FTW!
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7