Tuning Troubles

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
thatmps6

Tuning Troubles

Post by thatmps6 »

Hey everyone,
I currently have a Mazda 6 MPS and bought VersaTuner Full in attempt to tune my car myself. Now, I've come across some issues, even though reading most forums on this website and others. The current mods on my car is a Corksport CAI, FMIC Upgrade, Upgraded High Flow Turbo, 3" Mid pipe w/ resonator delete, HPFP upgrade and that's about it performance wise. Now I've gone through, changed values from the High Octane tune from the OTS. I'm running RON98 btw. I've increased load and MAP targets a fair bit, but only seeing 1 psi of boost increase at most? I'm aware these cars are tuned by load meaning the more load the more air it requires but this doesn't really seem to be the case. However, looking at Virtual Dyno, the performance is actually decreasing the more I increase boost?? I'm targeting roughly 11.5AFRs at WOT. Curious if anyone is able to help me out or give me insight on what I am possibly doing wrong? I have attached my current tune, alongside its logs and a screenshot of the Virtual Dyno charts.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-08-19 214219.png
Screenshot 2023-08-19 214219.png (96.47 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Base 98EU Advanced Octane High Load v1.00.vtune
(143.57 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
2nd gear base.csv
(3.63 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
2nd gear 2nd run.csv
(3.63 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
2ns gear 3rd.csv
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Tuning Troubles

Post by mituc »

Well, you are reaching and exceeding the throttle reduction MAP limits. That's the reason you do not see any increase.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
thatmps6

Post by thatmps6 »

Ahh right, is there any specific value I should raise these to or is there a reason these limits are set in place and I'm required to do something else mechanical wise with the engine? I've heard about the 3.5 BAR MAP but I'm aware you only really need that when going over around 22psi or so? Also, am I meant to be changing the MAP targets under boost control as I'm increasing requested load?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Just set the throttle reduction MAP limits to like 246-248kPa and the fuel cut MAP limits to 252/254. The factory MAP sensor will read up to 256-257kPa and 252 is not a problem. The factory turbo is capable of 240-245-ish kPa MAP with very free flowing breathing mods so at least past 5k RPM it will max out before reaching those limits anyway. Considering the load limits you've set in each gear most probably you will not reach those either with this factory turbo (past 4.5k rpm those are big turbo load limits). But see where you land and then set the load limits slightly below where your turbo maxes out, otherwise it will have a shorter life (which may be a good thing, a very good reason to go bigger).
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
thatmps6

Post by thatmps6 »

Awesome, thanks for the help mituc. I'll set the overboosting / MAP limits and reduce requested load (make it a little bit more realistic) and see how we go. I'll let you know how it goes. Real quick, am I required to change the MAP targets (boost targeting mode) and the BCS DC Base extended. What's the process in tuning the BCS DC?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

thatmps6 wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 11:37 pm What's the process in tuning the BCS DC?
You just look at what WGDC is required for your setup to reach the set load target and you put that value in for 70-ish APP and up, and then interpolate linearly with what's below - or you pull those intermediate load values from some normal driving logs instead of the WOT logs.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
thatmps6

Post by thatmps6 »

mituc wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 12:44 am
thatmps6 wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 11:37 pm What's the process in tuning the BCS DC?
You just look at what WGDC is required for your setup to reach the set load target and you put that value in for 70-ish APP and up, and then interpolate linearly with what's below - or you pull those intermediate load values from some normal driving logs instead of the WOT logs.
Where can I find the WGDC for the setup? I read not too long ago where I saw you say you can set all values to 0 then set the increase amount to 100% and let the ECU decide where it wants it. Then implement those in and repeat a couple times till it settles. Is this a good method?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

thatmps6 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 1:33 pm Where can I find the WGDC for the setup?
Boost Control -> BCS DC Base Extended.
thatmps6 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 1:33 pm I read not too long ago where I saw you say you can set all values to 0 then set the increase amount to 100% and let the ECU decide where it wants it. Then implement those in and repeat a couple times till it settles. Is this a good method?
You can use the 0 approach when you start from scratch with tuning your boost control or try to diagnose a problem. Since you did not change the turbo, the EBCS or not chasing a problem I don't think you should start from scratch, you can let it adjust.
However, letting it increase 100% is not smart. Maybe let it decrease 100% which is the default value and how it should be. I sometimes lower the max increase from 20 to 15%, but never ever 100%. Maybe you misread what I wrote or it was somebody else's post.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
thatmps6

Post by thatmps6 »

thatmps6 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 1:33 pm I read not too long ago where I saw you say you can set all values to 0 then set the increase amount to 100% and let the ECU decide where it wants it. Then implement those in and repeat a couple times till it settles. Is this a good method?
You can use the 0 approach when you start from scratch with tuning your boost control or try to diagnose a problem. Since you did not change the turbo, the EBCS or not chasing a problem I don't think you should start from scratch, you can let it adjust.
However, letting it increase 100% is not smart. Maybe let it decrease 100% which is the default value and how it should be. I sometimes lower the max increase from 20 to 15%, but never ever 100%. Maybe you misread what I wrote or it was somebody else's post.
[/quote]

Oh right, I believe someone was asking it but you were correcting them on it, but no issues I don't believe I need to go towards that approach. In terms of my turbo, I am aware snail has been slightly largened and has higher output flow (so it claims). However, the turbo came with the car when I purchased it but turns out to be some cheap one. Took it past a professional and they had it rebuilt with proper internals (garret internals I believe). So I'm really unsure on its capabilities and how much better it is than the stock k04.

Still trying to get insight on what Boost Control --> MAP Targets is if that's something you can help me out with. I'm aware increasing load will increase boost, but is it better to run a safer and reliable load and increase the MAP Targets for more boost? Or will that create more load either way (more air = more load right?).
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

thatmps6 wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 6:29 pm Still trying to get insight on what Boost Control --> MAP Targets is if that's something you can help me out with.
I suggest to use the MAP values as safety limits and not target them at this point. Use the factory logic based on load because it simply works best.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7