Tuning Troubles

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
thatmps6

Re: Tuning Troubles

Post by thatmps6 »

Alright sweet, that should be all my questions answered. I'll see how everything goes.
thatmps6

Post by thatmps6 »

I'm back, however I have come across another issue. Currently I target about 2.0 load and see around 18psi, but when increasing load to 2.1 or 2.2 it will still only see 18psi like the turbo has capped out?? I have attached a log of the car currently on how it runs to see if there is anything you can pick at that may need adjusting or cause the issue. One thing I have noticed is the car hits max boost at around 4000+RPM which is quite late in the rev range, especially for a not so big turbo.

Any help is appreciated
Attachments
Mazda6 MPS Pull Run1 (1).csv
(4.02 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

How much wastegate do you allow for? Either post the content of the BCS DC Base table or if you're not running into any intellectual property issues you can share the tune here.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
thatmps6

Post by thatmps6 »

Here is the tune.
Attachments
RON 98 - MPS 6 - Modified v1.01.vtune
(117.76 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Zero out the bcsdc boost target correction table and see how this goes. You may also need a bit more VVT, like stock values up to 5k rpm.
Also please add relative throttle position in your logs, you may be requesting a bit too less throttle as well.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
CrazyCanadian

Post by CrazyCanadian »

You are pretty much at the limits of your CAI... The MAF voltage is hitting 4.5V... At this point you are attempting to suck air through a straw that's to small.... You'll need to upgrade to a larger MAF housing/intake...
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

He has a long way to go up until like 4.8. When hitting the 4.9 limit you will only get a reduction in power and a cel about the MAF performance range or something.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
CrazyCanadian

Post by CrazyCanadian »

After looking at the tune there's more going on... This is comparing the last log and the latest tune file... The ECU wants more duty cycle to try and hit the load targets down low.. There's to much DC after 5000rpm. The MAF curve isn't right at the load levels it's hitting.. This will be causing some of the inconsistency with the wastegate dc The MAF curve needs to be evened out.. Any fueling issues going on in this area should be corrected through the VE table..

OP.. Something to understand... LOAD doesn't directly dictate boost levels.. LOAD is targeting a calculated amount of torque.. The boost level to hit this commanded torque can change based on changes in air density.. The idea behind LOAD targeting is to be able to maintain an even torque curve through out various seasons and environments.. So one day 2.0 LOAD will be 18lbs of boost... Another day it might be 17lbs of boost..

This is a quick spread sheet.. hopefully it's pretty self explanatory as to what's data from your log vs the data from the tune... The area's marked with coloured squares are what I'm talking about...The graph is the portion of the MAF curve from your tune..
Attachments
MAF curve.jpg
MAF curve.jpg (265.1 KiB) Viewed 16360 times
Load.jpg
Load.jpg (503.42 KiB) Viewed 16360 times
thatmps6

Post by thatmps6 »

Thanks for the response, some good information you have provided. It is interesting showing what my load currently is compared to what my requested load is.

From what I have read, you suggest correcting the MAF curve to make it smoother or any adjustments needed?
What can be the reason for the absolute load not matching requested load?
CrazyCanadian

Post by CrazyCanadian »

Smooth out the MAF curve.. You can try adding 10-15% duty cycle 3500 RPM and lower.. 5000-6000rpm try 70% duty cycle..

You'll need to make AFR corrections with the VE tables after you've smoothed out the MAF curve.. Which is a topic that no one really talks about..