How to Clean Your MAF Sensor

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

How to Clean Your MAF Sensor

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Since MAF calibration is so critical to tuning, I thought I would do a walk through on how to clean your MAF sensor prior to performing a calibration.

Safety Note: These chemicals are EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE. Do not smoke when using them, etc. Also, they burn like a #$%^#%^ and can cause real harm if they get in your eyes. Wear appropriate safety gear.

Step One - Obtain the Supplies
MAF Cleaning Supplies
MAF Cleaning Supplies
IMG_5002_800.JPG (85.28 KiB) Viewed 39336 times
Step Two - Locate the MAF Sensor
MAF Sensor on CAI
MAF Sensor on CAI
IMG_5003_800.JPG (60.62 KiB) Viewed 39336 times
Step Three - Remove the connector and inspect the contacts
Inspect the contacts
Inspect the contacts
IMG_5006_800.JPG (63.27 KiB) Viewed 39336 times
Step Four - Clean the contacts in both connectors with electronics cleaner
Clean the contacts with electronics cleaner
Clean the contacts with electronics cleaner
IMG_5008_800.JPG (73.14 KiB) Viewed 39336 times
Step Five - Optional - Apply a small amount of di-electric grease to the connector seal.

Step Six - Reconnect the sensor and remove the two phillips head screws that hold it in the intake pipe. Be sure you don't drop the screws :)

Step Seven - Spray MAF cleaner on the MAF and IAT sensors. Up inside the black plastic housing, you will see two wires. Those are the MAF sensor. The red-orange plastic sensor on the side is the Inlet Air Temperature sensor.
Clean the MAF and IAT
Clean the MAF and IAT
IMG_5013_800.JPG (83.05 KiB) Viewed 39336 times
Step Eight - Apply a small amount of Di-Electric grease to the mounting surface and inside diameter of the CAI where the MAF mounts and where the MAF sealing o-ring sits. This will prevent corrosion of the bare aluminum on the CAI and help the o-ring seal.
Apply Di-Electric Grease Sparingly
Apply Di-Electric Grease Sparingly
IMG_5018_800.JPG (63.34 KiB) Viewed 39336 times
Step Ten - Press MAF sensor back into the intake pipe and screw the mounting screws in. Be sure you don't over-tighten the screws and strip the theads.

That's it! Total time, about ten minutes.
Last edited by Steve @ VersaTune on April 5th, 2010, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Re: How to Clean Your MAF Sensor

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Nice how-to Steve!
Too bad they don't sell a MAF cleaner here that adds 10 horsepower to the wheels.. :cry:
06Speed6

Post by 06Speed6 »

I have to disagree with the dielectric grease part, that is a water proof connector and it is not made for grease. Regardless of that, grease should not touch the contacts of any connector, just the inner base of a non water proof male connector, and the outside of the female connector where the crimps go into the plastic housing.

Honestly the best way to seal a non water proof connector is with RTV silicone, you seal all the wires going into the connectors. It will keep out about 90% of the dirt and water.

Dielectric grease is non conductive and shouldnt be used to coat contacts that are supposed to be conductive. On modern cars, nearly every underhood connector is water proof.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

You're right. It is a weather proof connector. If the conductors do not fit tightly inside each other, they will not displace the grease and thus not conduct the signal.

Mineral spirits will disolve the grease if it gets anywhere you don't want it.
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

What's the intended use for that dielectric grease?
Rich990

Post by Rich990 »

I did this on the weekend - the IAT sensor was pretty dirty but the MAF wires looked clean, sprayed both with two or three blasts of electronics cleaner, letting it dry between sprays, and also inti the terminals of the sensor.

Also reset the ecu at the same time and the difference is night and day.
Also seem to be flowing about 10 more maf g/s than before :)
richy-m-g

Post by richy-m-g »

I used a MAF cleaner made by the German company Liqui Moly. When I removed the MAF sensor I found the two wires of the sensor element were caked in black deposits. A few squirts of the Liqui Moly and it was gone. Noticed an immediate improvement in acceleration response; it was crisp and smooth instead of woolly.