Custom 3" TBE help please!!

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
JUT

Custom 3" TBE help please!!

Post by JUT »

Hi peeps,

I own a 2006 Mazda 6 MPS with 59,000 miles, mods include AEM CAI, TIP, ETS TMIC, Uprated HPFP internals.

I'm going insane..... I recently had a custom 3" TBE fitted and now have a few problems. My LTFT at idle are 21%!! I also have boost creep which on my Ecutek tune (which has been removed today so that Versatuner can be installed) was boosting to 1.1 bar when set at 0.8bar - Are these normal effects of adding a free flowing exhaust system?

I also get a smell of exhaust fumes through the vents inside the car when stationary - more so when starting from cold ...... could this be a leak that's causing my issues?

I really want to install my Versatuner software and get going with the tunes but thought it best to find out what's going on with my car first..... any opinions / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Justin
2005 Mazda 6 MPS
BNR Stage 2 Turbo, DNP Manifold, CP-e Safe Seals, Corksport "RAMAIR" FMIC / Intake, 3" TBE, HPFP Internals, Forge BPV, EGR Delete, VTCS Delete, H&R Springs, Blistein B8 Dampers, Whiteline Rear ARB, Tuned with Image
laxplayermjd

Re: Custom 3" TBE help please!!

Post by laxplayermjd »

do you have cat in your downpipe? if not you will smell some fumes. I even smell some from my car on cold starts,outside the car only. Your fuel trim means you have a leak somewhere with 21 % .

Was everything fine before the exhaust install?
JUT

Post by JUT »

The system has a 100 cell high flow CAT in the downpipe section. The car was fine when I picked it up from the exhaust place.... until I got home and disconnected the battery to reset the ECU. I have checked all intake and intercooler pipes numerous times and retightened clamps ..... Im gonna go around the engine bay with a can of carb cleaner later and see what happens.
2005 Mazda 6 MPS
BNR Stage 2 Turbo, DNP Manifold, CP-e Safe Seals, Corksport "RAMAIR" FMIC / Intake, 3" TBE, HPFP Internals, Forge BPV, EGR Delete, VTCS Delete, H&R Springs, Blistein B8 Dampers, Whiteline Rear ARB, Tuned with Image
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Could you open your hood (bonnet) to check if there's any smoke coming through the turbo-downpipe joint? Is your wideband O2 sensor screwed in well?
Are you running a stock tune currently? LTFTs could be off if the MAF tables are modified in the ECU or if you are running a stock tune with a bigger MAF housing.
An LTFT of +21% means there's 21% of unmetered air in your system.
My guess is that you have a leak somewhere between your MAF sensor and your wideband O2.
JUT

Post by JUT »

Thanks for your replies guys. I have put Base 91US 95EU Octane with CAI + TIP v2.11 on and fuel trims at idle were +23% and at all other MAF voltages were between 13 - 16%.

Car is at the exhaust shop at moment and they told me that the TBE system has no leaks at all but agree that the smell of petrol / exhaust fumes inside the car is there as well as a strong smell under the bonnet up where the turbo sits. They said they are removing the heat shields to investigate further and believe there may be a leak on a flexi pipe on/near the manifold??

If there was a leak in this area then would this likely to cause or add to the boost creep problem?

Once again, thanks.

Justin
2005 Mazda 6 MPS
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Boost creep can happen with 3" TBE. It depends on the turbo and wastegate you have. It sounds like you are all stock on the turbo though. The mods you have will definitely cause boost spikes on spool up and when shifting at WOT if not tuned for. The CAI +TIP tune addresses some spiking, but not as much as you will see with the CAI, TIP, TMIC and TBE.

As for the LTFT, check for a vacuum leak.
JUT

Post by JUT »

Well, I had a smoke leak test and there is no leaks at all on the intake side. I have also cleaned the EGR valve and idle trims have dropped a little to around +16% but all other LTFT's are around +20%!

I have noticed that the primary 02 sensor has a blue wire that has slight damage to the outer covering and you can see the silver wire inside - Could this be the issue do you think? I only ask because this problem only started after the TBE was installed...... 02 sensor ordered anyhow, I just hope it is the cure as it is driving me insane and I have a FMIC waiting to be installed!!
2005 Mazda 6 MPS
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

If the O2 sensor was damaged, that would cause trims to be off. Log Actual Equivalence Ratio (Lambda). If it never moves, then the O2 is probably the cause.
JUT

Post by JUT »

Right, I have no leaks on the intake and exhaust sides and my fuel trims are still way off! The 02 sensor has also been replaced so where should I go from here? I am going to try and swap over the MAF sensor with another MPS owner to rule that out!
2005 Mazda 6 MPS