clutch kit input

VersaTuner for Mazdaspeed6, Mazda 6 MPS, Mazdaspeed3, Mazda 3 MPS, CX7
laxplayermjd

clutch kit input

Post by laxplayermjd »

Well i think my pressure plate about gave out this morning. Wouldnt grab nothing when i went to take off. Smoked it big time. Limped the car to work.

Been looking for kits all days Not sure the best way to go. What clutch kits are you guys running and how do you like it.

ACT kit is about 700 , but read of quite of few failures with the street disc includes flywheel
Eagle motorsports is new for OE replacement. about 450 plus 350 for fidanza flywheel.. either organic or segmented kevlar
Spec is about 700 plus 350 flywheel
can find a stock set for about 350 with not flywheel

Also found a luk repset which is listed for mazdaspeed6 and has a diff part number from the na for only 250

Id consider stock but i know my flywheel is burnt and should not be reused. Not sure that anyone in this town can resurface a dual mass flywheel.

Looking for any input asap thanks! i blame the failure on steves tune :lol: haha.

Not sure what to do at this point. Labor is free so thats good but i dont want to have to replace the clutch soon due to a failure or it only lasting 8k miles like ive read alot of act kits do. Im sure there is also plenty that work just fine too.
fez

Re: clutch kit input

Post by fez »

hmm .. our stock clutch/fly wheel is actually pretty good so I'm not sure how you went through it to the point of complete failure... Driving style? :P

I have SPEC 2+ in my car. It's slightly stiffer than stock (and our stock is the toughest I've ever seen) so beware - you will most likely NOT like it in heavy stop-and-go traffic. But I had no issues with it and it pretty much ensures than no one can steal my car easily. :D
The only problem with 2+ is power rating... I think it's only good for 400something crank? But yea, I talked to a SPEC rep at Road Atlanta during Mitty and he suggested upgrading to 3+ - said the feel is the same and no drivability differences.
laxplayermjd

Post by laxplayermjd »

ive had cars with stiffer pedals and drive m3's with wayyy stiffer pedals.

I think i just have a pressure plate failure. Plus there was 10k miles on the car when i got it, and it was stolen at one point in the carfax history so LOL. I knew it didnt feel right when i got it.

ive got to tear it apart to see if i can just cheaply replace the oem clutch and leave the flywheel. Otherwise at the moment im leaning towards the new Clutchmaster stage 1 kit. Spec stage 2 is on my mind as well but itll cost me more.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Be sure to check the oem dual mass flywheel for wear. Mine was toast.

Fidanza fw is really light. makes gentle take offs tricky with 4 adults in the car.

I also have the early style clutch pedal assy, so that doesn't help either.

My spec stage 2 holds my GT3071R running at 27 psi.
laxplayermjd

Post by laxplayermjd »

well i got the clutch out tonight the flywheel is toast. theres about 6mm of lateral movement. Bot the pressure plate and the flywheel have hot spots in them. Clutch disc looks like it had 50% life left but glazed over on the outer half edge of the disc on both sides.

Not sure what went bad first or what. Whats done is done. This job is not for a avg diy mechanic i can tell you that. Its all fine and dandy except for 3 trans bolts that are really hard to get to. I was about to take the downpipe out, as well as the transfer case. I ended up leaving the tcase on the engine along with the right side axle shaft.

I kinda figured all oem components are made by luk. I have that LUK lists a clutch kit for the mazdaspeed 6. It SHOULD be the same oem clutch kit. But i was able to fine it for 250 vs the 340 or so ive located oem kit for.

As far as flywheels. cant find a oem dual mass cheap, or that luk even lists one yet. I do not really want a 11 lb flywheel, hear it makes noise at idle due to less rotating mass and its different on engagement. This makes me lean towards the new ACT clutch kit due to price and the 22lb flywheel.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

A single mass will have a nasty harmonic around 1500-1800 under load. The dual mass flywheel absorbs that.
laxplayermjd

Post by laxplayermjd »

well then im in a sticky situation.. i wanted to add a trans mount too which would make everything worse with the light weight flywheel. oem stuff would be the most expensive. im going to call LUK and see if they list a flywheel directly from them.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

I forgot to mention that the dealer replaced my clutch a long long time ago under warranty. When I took it apart, I saw the LUK stickers on the disc.
laxplayermjd

Post by laxplayermjd »

yea everything says luk on it but part numbers listed only come up as mazda. I did source a luk clutch kit that says its for the ms6/ms3 for 250. it should be the same kit as stock except cheaper... but i havent been able to find a oem flywheel .

i will know monday if im able to get wholesale price at the dealer. maybe ill just stick oem if its a good price.

I think mazda powertrain warranty is a joke, my clutch cleary failed from defect and not wear. Atleast i can do the work myself and not pay 2500 like ive read some were quoted.
laxplayermjd

Post by laxplayermjd »

well im ordering the new clutchmasters stg 1 kit. it was 300 cheaper than a O.E setup and a tad cheaper than a spec-fidanza setup. i stayed away from act due to alot of failures posted on the forums.

I hope ill like it. The CM stg 1 is rated at 390 ft/lbs

here is some awesome pics. I know from the looks of it you would say i cant drive. Id say the same thing but 10k miles of it wasnt me
Attachments
0613011822a.jpg
0613011822a.jpg (188.47 KiB) Viewed 16857 times
0613011822.jpg
0613011822.jpg (178.86 KiB) Viewed 16857 times
0613011821.jpg
0613011821.jpg (183.31 KiB) Viewed 16857 times