Versatune causing ECU to lose connection to instrument panel

Installation and Usage Support
dhancock14

Versatune causing ECU to lose connection to instrument panel

Post by dhancock14 »

I have a 2010 RX8 and I've been using versatune the last week after updating to version 1.13.70.0 and I've been getting a CEL for the instrument cluster losing connection to the ECU while my computer is plugged in and logging. CEL codes are U0073 and U0155. This hasn't happened before until this update. I can see the instrument panel cluster freaking out when it happens too. Christmas lights and all. Not really sure what's going on, but it doesn't happen unless I'm connected to the car and running versatune. Logging and flashing seems to work fine otherwise.
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Re: Versatune causing ECU to lose connection to instrument p

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

What do you mean by "connected to the car and running versatune"?
Do you mean that DTCs only happen with a VersaTuner tune flashed to the ECU? Or during logging?
Could you please provide step by step instructions to recreate the issue that you are referring to.
dhancock14

Post by dhancock14 »

I mean it's only happening while I'm logging. It's not all the time either. It will randomly start messing with the instrument panel and then I can reset the CEL and it will work fine for a while with no issues. I've reflashed the ECU as well and the same behavior occurred before and after. I'll do some more testing later today to double check it's not just my cable causing the issue (which is a cable I got from you guys, not the chinese stuff), but so far I've only seen it happen while logging with versaturner.
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Can you try restoring the ECU back to stock and then do some logging? I wonder if this is related to the VersaTuner tune on your ECU.
You don't have any other aftermarket logging devices or gauges connected, do you?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

It's not tune or VT related. Check your fuses, grounds and the OBD2 connector in case something is corroded there.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP