Need help with my tune

Installation and Usage Support
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Need help with my tune

Post by mituc »

Steve @ VersaTune wrote:The first log from the high load tune. It had no knock, but the load values were well below the values in the tune.
So with the high load tune there were two logs:
- Data log - 2016-08-23 12.27.32 which had no knock;
- Data log - 2016-08-23 12.30.52 which had even more knock than the last one and which I missed at that time because my eye was caught by the AFRs.

At this point I would not go back to the high load tune, I'd rather go back to the Base 93/98OCT tune.
The tune I've sent is some where in between but there's still a lot of knock even with smaller commanded loads since JohnnyMPS doesn't have upgraded fuel pump internals and one of my concerns with the initial two logs was that in the second log between 4700 and 5400rpm the fuel rail pressure was below 1600psi. At least now the FRP is well above 1600PSI (or above 11000kpa).

However, at least with the last tune we can see the commanded and actual AFRs which now make sense together. I still don't understand how instead of the Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure PID which I've sent in a logging preset we now see "Manifold absolute pressure - AEM 3.5 BAR (kPa)", but let's just say at this point MAP is not a real concern, and we still have the boost to work with assuming that the BARO is, say, around 100kPa.

Going back to the AFRs... they are 0.5-0.7AFR on the lean side. With the Fuel Rail Pressure values in check this time and assuming that Johnny has the factory intake as the tune is set up probably there's some post MAF - pre turbo leak somewhere.

The relatively high KR and some decent timing values (remember even with the timing values from the high load tune in one log there was massive KR, and in the other one there wasn't any) usually point to the injector seals. Probably they can also be the culprit for the leaner registered AFRs.

So what do you think Steve? is my analysis kind of close?

I've also attached the last tune I've sent him is this for who wants to take a look and eventually give more insight:
JohnnyMPS-Base 93US_98EU Octane v1.10.zip
(44.13 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Johnnymps

Post by Johnnymps »

So Steve, should i do another run or does something seem not right with my car like Mituc said and maybe get it checked out ?

And thanks Mituc for your detailed reply even though i dont understand most of it lol. Hopefully Steve replies to let us both know.
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

In the log from the high load tune, you were not hitting the load targets, and the ECU wasn't trying to increase boost. So, there is some sort of problem with the car, or you did not actually have the high load tune on the car.
Johnnymps

Post by Johnnymps »

Hi Steve, the first 2 logs i did i had the 1.02 98 octane tune on my car. And the last log was the one mituc gave me, he explained it much better then i could in the post above mine.

The only things i have done to my car since i bought it was a service by mazda and the only thing i have done is cleaned the MAF sensor from a tutorial on your forums.

Do you think that could be effecting it in some way if i didnt do it right ?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

That could explain the slightly leaner AFRs but not the pretty high KR with both tunes, unless your MAF is reading pretty low and the AFRs we see are lean even after the ECU enriches them as part of the knock mitigation process.

You should take another look and see if your MAF is not fitted backwards, if it seals properly against the MAF housing, and so on. You should also check the rest of the intake between the MAF housing and the turbo and make sure there isn't something lose. Also check the rest of the engine bay and check for possible rattles, because at this point it's hard to tell if that massive KR is real knock or induced knock.

You were saying your car doesn't drive properly, when did this start? Was it before or after you cleaned the MAF, before or after you flashed a new tune, before or after you did something else (work on the car, fill it with gas, anything).

Do not go WOT until you find something or check everything and make sure its all good. Or you can flash it back to stock and take another log. And when you take that log please make sure you use this preset. Please NO MORE aem PIDs, no other unnecessary pids. They are useless, take useful space from your logs and also takes away the leverage we have to pinpoint the problem. Unzip this file, go to Dashboard -> click the little arrow from "Presets" -> Import and import the file from this zip.
StockCarMonitoring.zip
(466 Bytes) Downloaded 397 times
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Johnnymps

Post by Johnnymps »

Thanks Mituc, you seem to help me more then the people that i bought this software from, really appreciate all your effort.

Im going to flash my car back to stock and take it to a tuner to test if i got a boost leak and get them to check the maf sensor if i did it right and will let you know how it goes.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Johnnymps wrote:Thanks Mituc, you seem to help me more then the people that i bought this software from, really appreciate all your effort.

Im going to flash my car back to stock and take it to a tuner to test if i got a boost leak and get them to check the maf sensor if i did it right and will let you know how it goes.
Everybody is helping you as much as possible, but considering the facts more information is required to make proper and useful statements as there's clearly something weird going on with the car that needs checked.

Therefore get your car checked, see if you find anything, and I guarantee you will get all the help, especially from the people you bought the software from if there's something they can help you with on a proven 100% healthy car.

If you will perform that boost leak test also make a compression test and if possible a leak-down test, if the injector seals are done you should see that in such tests.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Johnnymps

Post by Johnnymps »

Hey Mituc, I just got back from the mechanic and he performed the boost leak test and found the turbo inlet hose the clamp was not on right and leaking badly.

But didn't have the time to fix it yet. But after just reflashing back to stock and without fixing the leak it still performs better then with the tune.

Do you think this leak would be effecting the tune alot and when I get it fixed it will solve the rest of the problems?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Johnnymps wrote:Do you think this leak would be effecting the tune alot and when I get it fixed it will solve the rest of the problems?
The higher the performance expectations/demands, the bigger the corrections/adjustments to get there, which in case of a problem results in case the whole system is thrown off the track by a defect.

In this particular case the tune relies on having the AFRs, boost control and ignition spot on. With that leak there the turbo was sucking a lot of unmetered air especially when you were expecting it to perform above the stock level the variations due to corrections attempt were a lot higher.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7