Versatuner randomly looses connection with Tactrix

Installation and Usage Support
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Versatuner randomly looses connection with Tactrix

Post by mituc »

Sometimes the Versatuner displays a message that it can't access the J2534 adapter. Today it did that while I was attempting to get some logs, I've got the error message and with a message box telling me to confirm that I plugged the J2534 cable in or cancel my request, but in the background the dashboard was actually displaying the PID values.

When that happens you can't log, you can't flash or do anything. This happens randomly and only after a clean PC boot, so once the laptop booted if the versatuner<->tactrix connection worked at first it will keep working until next boot, when you never know what's going to happen.

The only way to fix this is to reinstall the tactrix drivers. However, even though the solution doesn't involve any change to the versatuner installation, since the tactrix adapter was actually working and the Versatuner was displaying the read values in real time I wonder if this isn't a bug in Versatuner rather than the tactrix drivers.
Since that happens randomly I can't blame my laptop, the OS installation or any antivirus software running there. This is just annoying because I need to uninstall the drivers, reboot, install them back, reboot just to be sure, and then after 6-7-8 wasted minutes I can do whatever I wanted to do.

This this happen to anyone else? I don't recall this happening with the first version I received, I think 1.6.1.

P.S.: should we open a dedicated bug reporting section on the forum? Normally these should be reported directly to the vendor, I agree, but sometimes you want to be sure that it's not just you that have a specific problem.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
manselainen

Re: Versatuner randomly looses connection with Tactrix

Post by manselainen »

Has not happened to me. I have flashed maybe 20 times and logged some more with the 1.6.2 version so not so much yet. In the very beginning when I got VT and Tactrix, I had some drop outs but after changing USB cable that came with Tactrix against a shorter one, there has not been any problems. I have Win XP.
Tuned with Image by Image

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

Most connectivity problems with the Tactrix cable are related to a poor connection from the Tactrix to the car or a poor connection from the Tactrix to the usb cable. Also, make sure that you do not have any power management trying to go into standby/screen saver due to user inactivity while logging.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

After the driver re-install the cables are not touched.
The laptop doesn't go into stand-by because I'm booting it up to use in that moment as soon as possible.

Ok, so it must be some hardware or software combination I have.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
N3RDPWR

Post by N3RDPWR »

I've had the same problem.
I also have had it drop out on me while loading a tune :(

Being a computer nerd myself. I no doubt suspect its the tatrix adapter it self.

I've unplugged it completely from the car and the computer and it has come good... but on some occations I've had to reboot the laptop.

I've learnt my lesson now and always reboot the laptop before I load a tune :) It's a pain to recover.
'07 Speed3
CP Custom Forged Pistons, Pauter Forged Rods, ATP GT3071R, CP-E 3" Full Exhaust, ATP FMIC, mrlilguy CDFP, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Fidanza Lightened Flywheel, Custom Injen SRI (Chopped)
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Indeed, it's either the tactrix or its drivers.
Last time it happened to me after I flashed a map, and while logging I connected the laptop to the cigarette lighter.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

After I figured that this happens only when I attempt to switch from off to ACC while the tactrix is connected I never connected the tactrix before turning the key to ON or ACC. ...And the problem never occurred again since then, probably something changes in the grounding connections and makes the taxtrix freak out.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Steve @ VersaTune
Lead tuner

Post by Steve @ VersaTune »

I suspect that the driver has issues with the OS power management. I have not narrowed it down farther yet.
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Maybe... anyway, I managed to find a way to avoid that and considering how the problem manifests itself it's clearly not a versatuner problem.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7