Catastrophic engine failure, ECU / Engine or Licence swap?

Installation and Usage Support
D4.k0x1

Catastrophic engine failure, ECU / Engine or Licence swap?

Post by D4.k0x1 »

Hey guys.

Unfortunately I've had a catastrophic engine failure :oops on one of my Mazda 6s and I'm rebuilding the engine in the other chassis, the one that was originally meant to be for spare parts. I'm wondering what would be an easier option. To swap the ECU and potentially the ignition as well, or just have the software (unused, but activated) moved to the other VIN as the original car is going to be scrapped. Please enlighten me. Thank you!

Best,
David
Attachments
... vented block ...
... vented block ...
38020789_2135352430066205_4091773119075713024_o.jpg (143.83 KiB) Viewed 4886 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Re: Catastrophic engine failure, ECU / Engine or Licence swa

Post by mituc »

Swap the ECU, you will not need another license. Or pull the other engine and put it in your original chassis, because if you only swap the ECU you will have to pair it with the immobiliser, comfort controller, and the rest of the modules. I think for that you will need the Mazda IDS or whatever software they're using.

So it's easier to put the engine directly in your first/main chassis.

P.S.: I hope you're building the engine properly: forged rods and forged pistons. If you daily the car make sure the pistons are from a 4032 alloy.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
D4.k0x1

Post by D4.k0x1 »

Hey! Thanks for the reply, I am aware that I would need to swap a few things over, however I do not have the full list. That's why I thought it'd be easier to ask the guys ar VT to just modify my VIN, and I could use the other 6 without any further delay. The first chassis is fairly rusty and has ran 86k, the other is a magnificent example with 44k and absolutely no problems or rust. I was thinking of putting the new rebuilt engine into that one, foe obvious reasons. Can you shed some more light on the matter, what would need to be changed? I am thinking of sending the engine off to Charlie Jenkins for a proper rebuild, and Justin will do the tune. CS Stage II SRI, Balance Shaft Delete, Damond Motorsport EGR Delete, Corksport Rear Motor Mount, ATP Catless Downpipe, Corksport HPFP. These I have so far. Forged internals are ridiculously expensive, but deep down I know I should go with them. A full Manley setup would be absolutely fantastic, but ££££. We'll see. ;-)
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Do not delete the BS, keep it if you can unless you're running the car as a dedicated drag car.

I guess you should swap the ECU, immobiliser, instrument cluster, central locking system, and keys.

Also, you should really look into getting a 3" ID intake, even with the OEM turbo.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

If you move the ECU to the new car, you can continue using the current license of VersaTuner. There is no need to transplant any other parts, just take it to a dealership and perform a PATS reset, you will need to have two ignition keys. This will pair the ECU with the instrument cluster and other modules.