Export as csv?

Installation and Usage Support
skiptownmcat

Export as csv?

Post by skiptownmcat »

Is it just me or has this button disappeared in the latest vt version?
Tuned with Image by Image

Su tmic/corksport intake/kmd internals/grimmspeed ebcs/jbr ssp/forge bpv/3" custom tbe
crashdan

Re: Export as csv?

Post by crashdan »

Nope mine is still there.... Make sure you open logs with VT and not by double clicking on a exported VT LOG. It open like a Log view with no export then... Well thats what i saw once
sidekick

Post by sidekick »

I'm trying to figure out how to export as CSV and I don't see a button in the logs screen.

EDIT: I found it and it seems to be working fine. Why does it export with so many places after the decimal?
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Well, I guess this is how some of the values are read and then later interpolated. Basically this is how this thing works:
1. the logging software will read the values for several PIDs at once, but not for all;
2. when exporting to CVS the time values are somehow quantified so that we have a discrete pool of time values;
3. if two consecutive time values when a PID value was read are X and Y, and the CSV quantified time value is Z, where Z is greater than X but less than Y, the logging software will make a linear interpolation for the value of the PID for time Z.
Say, if at second (X=)1 the boost is 10PSI and at second (Y=)2 the boost is 12PSI, then if the logging engine decides to display a line for time Z=1.5s the boost value displayed will be 11PSI. Or fi Z=1.3s then the boost value displayed in the log will be 10.6PSI. Sometimes this results in a lot of decimals, but sometimes the reading itself has a few decimals already (think of a value interpolated based on a voltage curve from a sensor).

This is how I think it works, more or less exact, but pretty close to how it actually works. I'm not sure if the interpolation is always linear (even though it should work with minimal errors at this time resolution).
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

Thanks for the detailed explanation, mituc. That's exactly how it works. The ECU can usually provide one value at a time, so it uses linear interpolation to calculate the values of all parameters at discrete time points.
SpeedRebirth

Post by SpeedRebirth »

The decimal thingy in logs are actually very irritating. There is no reason for me to see values like 15.59374920
Only makes the logs harder to read. Trim it down to 2 or 3 decimals in the next VT version, PLEASE :)
MS6 -06 VT Atmosphere Turbo GTX3076
EWG-Catless DP-3,25" MAF-HDI FMIC-
JBR: RMM-PMM-TMM-SS Kit S2-TIG Throttle-EGR Delete-OCC S2
SPC Joints Whiteline Rear Swaybar CP-E RDM Turbosmart BPV Autotech HPFP SURE Juggernaught Guardian Angel+Boost Dial
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

Reconfigure your spreadsheet program to show less decimals. Mine does that by default (open office). The high number of decimals makes perfect sense in some situations and metric systems.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
manselainen

Post by manselainen »

A small excel macro helps a lot. Insert a table, format columns, add columns & calculations if you want, add header etc.
Tuned with Image by Image

3 MPS '07, BNR S3, ported IM, VTCS delete, test pipe, PTP HPFP internals, RMM
sidekick

Post by sidekick »

So, I've found that if you double click a log file to open it, you don't have the option to export as CSV. If you open it via the "open log file" button in VT, you can export as VT. Kind of annoying, but not the end of the world.
Dolfius

Post by Dolfius »

Thought I'd necro this thread instead of starting a new one. Very recently became a VT convert. I can't seem to see/find how to export or open log files in CSV format.

Did something change over the years and updates, or am I just really that blind? Any help would be appreciated.