Update now won't identify car and lost tunes

Installation and Usage Support
Blue

Update now won't identify car and lost tunes

Post by Blue »

Hi, it looks like I might need a hand with this one. I've been using versatune on my 6 mps for about a year and it's been awesome but my laptop recently had a windows update and versatune will no longer identify my car and all the tunes I had, even the standard ones, have all disappeared. I have resigned myself to the fact that I my have to start my tuning from scratch again but still need a base to go off and a way for versatune to identify my car again. When I plug my car in and try to identify it, I get the error
'.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1.

Help would be appreciated
cheers
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Re: Update now won't identify car and lost tunes

Post by Ugnius @ VersaTune »

That's weird. Please open VersaTuner settings, click "Open VersaTuner Data Folder...", then make backups of the files UserSettings.xml and LocalData.vtdb.
After you have backed up those files, close VersaTuner, delete UserSettings.xml and run it again. See if that fixes the issues. If it does not, try deleting LocalData.vtdb, see if that helps.
If it does, please email us your LocalData.vtdb and we will see if we can extract your tunes from there.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Sorry it took ages for me to get back to you. I have tried opening the settings but nothing happens, same thing with the help button. On a side note, I can view and access my datalogs.
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Could you try manually installing the latest .NET framework from here and see if it helps:
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/thank-you/net48
Blue

Post by Blue »

I have installed the framework as suggested but still can't access settings or see any tunes or identify cars.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I have installed the framework as suggested but still can't access settings or see any tunes or identify cars.
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling VersaTuner? That will not affect your settings or tunes.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled versatuner but getting same issues still.
Ugnius @ VersaTune
Lead developer

Please enable display of hidden files and folders in Windows, then manually go to the folder:
C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\VersaTune\VersaTuner

Then follow the procedure I outlined in my first post.
Blue

Post by Blue »

So I followed what you said and deleted the user settings and I can now do everything and all the tunes have returned. Thanks a lot for all the help. This is really making me want to get a new turbo to start tuning it more. The cars been making just under 2.4 load on the ko4 for over a year, might be time for an upgrade ;)
cheers
Blue