Couple of questions

Installation and Usage Support
CrazyCanadian

Couple of questions

Post by CrazyCanadian »

Is there a way to change the 3d chart colors/lay out so that we can better see the shape/cell locations? Add lines maybe?

Also is there a way to copy axis values from maps? I use HPtuners a lot more then I do Versatuner. I like building custom histograms, for filtering data. I've made a different excel spread sheet that's more of a copy past function for doing Maf tuning.

Also with Mazdaspeeds... Actual vs Desired lambda... Has anyone seen these vary and be able to use it for open loop tuning? I ask this because I am wondering if the desired pid, is a true representation of desired and working correctly.. Using Forscan and Mazda IDS, there's a desired pid, but after logging a few different OEM vehicles, and modified vehicles.. Desired seems to track actual... It doesn't look like a true representation of desired.. Going back and comparing a pull, trying to take into account modifiers and tracking what I've got in my tables hasn't helped me answer this question.. I'll be honest I haven't put a lot of time into shifting tables to force different situations to do enough testing in this area..

Also calculating data frequency from CSV files.. I am curious about how to do this.. I work on all kinds of vehicles and use many different tools. I've started doing comparisons between tools and data collection methods...
DJJUT

Re: Couple of questions

Post by DJJUT »

Hi ya,

I find that desired AFR does indeed give a true representation of what has been requested in the tune file. I've always found this an adequate reading to make corrections to the MAF calibration. The desired and actual AFR may seem pretty much similar most of the time if you use the OEM or similar sized intakes as "open loop" isn't truly that - there is some fuel corrections going on by the ECU to ensure that actual is near desired AFR.

You can disable this ECU fuel trimming at WOT to get a real true reading of actual AFR and you can then correct the MAF calibration based on this Vs desired AFR - this is what I do personally.
440whp MPS6, GTX3582 & meth injection! :burnrubber
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

CrazyCanadian wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 7:55 am Actual vs Desired lambda... Has anyone seen these vary and be able to use it for open loop tuning? I ask this because I am wondering if the desired pid, is a true representation of desired and working correctly.. Using Forscan and Mazda IDS, there's a desired pid, but after logging a few different OEM vehicles, and modified vehicles.. Desired seems to track actual... It doesn't look like a true representation of desired..
That is because in the tune you have flashed on the car the fueling corrections are still allowed in open loop.
For a true open loop fueling you may want to lower the limits in the Absolute Limits -> Closed Loop Load Limits 1/2/3. I like having them set to 1.063 to like 1.25 depending on the mods, but everyone with their own preference.
2008 Cosmic Blue Mazda 3MPS
Built engine + WMI + GTX3071 gen2, ~509BHP @34PSI
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
CrazyCanadian

Post by CrazyCanadian »

mituc wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 10:38 am
CrazyCanadian wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 7:55 am Actual vs Desired lambda... Has anyone seen these vary and be able to use it for open loop tuning? I ask this because I am wondering if the desired pid, is a true representation of desired and working correctly.. Using Forscan and Mazda IDS, there's a desired pid, but after logging a few different OEM vehicles, and modified vehicles.. Desired seems to track actual... It doesn't look like a true representation of desired..
That is because in the tune you have flashed on the car the fueling corrections are still allowed in open loop.
For a true open loop fueling you may want to lower the limits in the Absolute Limits -> Closed Loop Load Limits 1/2/3. I like having them set to 1.063 to like 1.25 depending on the mods, but everyone with their own preference.
Thank you for the insight on the close loop load limits.. Looks like the definition of what it does needs to be updated. I went and checked my Cobb Access tuner stuff and it's description matched what you've said..
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

CrazyCanadian wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 8:25 am Thank you for the insight on the close loop load limits..
You're welcome!
Are you by any chance the host of the Wannabe Tuners Youtube channel?
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7
Stock engine and exhaust (YES!!), JBR3" + GTX2867 gen2 + Autotech HPFP, self-tuned to 330-ish BHP
CrazyCanadian

Post by CrazyCanadian »

No I am not. sounds like an interesting name for a youtube channel. It's hard to find good indepth info on tuning stuff. Lots of generalized information out there, or surface level stuff. But actual table information and strategy stuff is hard to come by.

Have you played much with the Virtual Volumetric Efficiency tables? I noticed Versatuner has added them for the Mazdaspeed stuff. I am wondering if they work kind of like the GM stuff does? GM run's a mix between MAF and Speed density.. Their Virtual Volumetric Efficiency tables is where you do all the speed density tuning. It gets more complicated as you move from Gen 3 to Gen 4 ecu's and then up to the Gen 5's..

Both of these are captured from the same log.. The MAF one is what most of us would understand from doing tuning for it.. The other one is comparing combined closed loop fuel trims to the Virtual Volumetric Efficiency table.. This is all now diving into a different type of topic though.
Attachments
VVT table.jpg
VVT table.jpg (478.32 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
MAF log.jpg
MAF log.jpg (298.83 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
mituc
VersaTuner guru

Post by mituc »

CrazyCanadian wrote: September 25th, 2022, 10:53 am Have you played much with the Virtual Volumetric Efficiency tables?
No I did not. Basically these don''t change even when moving from, say, factory bore 87.5mm to 88mm. Probably only the VVT table changes may interfere a bit but we just deal with the MAF calibration and rely on the fuel trims to get the fueling sorted. So I guess unless you're going big cams on these engines (so stage 2 or 3) playing with the VF tables is just a waste of time.
2008 Icy Blue Mazda CX7